1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving group velocity

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The phase velocity of ocean waves is [tex]\sqrt{\frac{g\lambda}{2\pi}}[/tex] , where g is 9.8 m/s2. What is the group velocity?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]v_{p} = \omega/k[/tex]
    [tex]v_{g} = \partial\omega/\partial k[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solutionSo I've been trying to find omega and k from the equation in the problem statement. I've tried isolating different variables and plugging back in. I've been at this for a while now. I don't know how many google searches I've done. The only place I can find the given equation is on wiki and they don't derive it. It's for my modern physics class and the book I'm using doesn't explain any of this...

I don't want the answer. I just want a hint to get me started.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What you need is the dispersion relation [itex]\omega=\omega(k)[/itex]. You need to express [itex]\omega[/itex] as a function of k, which you can do if you know the phase velocity in terms of k, not solve for particular values of the variables. Once you have that, you differentiate it to find the group velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook