Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Lagrange's Equations

1. Sep 9, 2010 #1
    I am having a problem with deriving Lagrange's Equations.

It's the derivation starting from Hamilton's Principle, the part where you consider the deviation from the path:

Suppose [tex]q=q(t)[/tex] is the function for which the action is a minimum, and now consider a deviation from [tex]q[/tex] where we replace it with [tex]q(t)+\delta q(t)[/tex] and then consider [tex]\delta S[/tex]:

[itex]\delta S = \int^{t_2}_{t_1} L(q+\delta q,\ \dot{q}+\delta \dot{q},\ t)\ dt-\int^{t_2}_{t_1}L(q,\ \dot{q},\ t)\ dt[/tex]

And then the argument is made that [tex]\delta S = 0[/tex] as a necessary condition for [tex]S[/tex] to have an extremum.

So I don't entirely follow why this last part is. Hand & Finch write as the reason for this:

So now it seems sort of apparent to me mathematically why we must have this condition, but intuitively I'm still lost. I can see obviously in either case that if we have a maximum why it can't have [tex]\delta S>0[/tex] and likewise if it's a minimum it can't be that [tex]\delta S<0[/tex], but the other cases don't seem to follow immediately for me. Can anyone perhaps give an intuitive reason why this is? I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted