Deriving Laplace Transforms

In summary, the Laplace transforms of the given functions can be derived using first principles by evaluating the integral L(f) = \int^\infty_{0} \mbox{f(t) e^{-st}} \ dt, where f(t) represents the given functions. The unit step function u(t-T) is defined in the problem, and its value depends on the parameter T. Similarly, the Laplace transform will also depend on T as a parameter. To evaluate the integral, one must know the value of \int_a^b e^x, which can be easily solved if one knows how to integrate an exponential function.
discombobulated

Homework Statement

Derive the Laplace transform of the following functions, using first principles

3d) [tex]u(t - T) \} = 0, \ t<T \ (= 1, t>T) [/tex]

3e) [tex]f(t) = e^{-a(t-T)}u(t-T)[/tex]

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to derive the transform using by integration using this:

L(f) = [tex]\int^\infty_{0} \mbox{f(t) e^{-st}} \ dt[/tex]

but I don't understand the notation, is T the laplace transform of t ? Is u the unit step function? so u(s) = 1/s ?
If someone could explain this to me please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
u is a function and T is a value for t, t is the variable.

discombobulated said:
but I don't understand the notation, is T the laplace transform of t ? Is u the unit step function? so u(s) = 1/s ?

Yes u is the stepfunction. You must use two useful identities in laplace transform theory.

discombobulated said:

Homework Statement

Derive the Laplace transform of the following functions, using first principles

3d) [tex]u(t - T) \} = 0, \ t<T \ (= 1, t>T) [/tex]

3e) [tex]f(t) = e^{-a(t-T)}u(t-T)[/tex]

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to derive the transform using by integration using this:

L(f) = [tex]\int^\infty_{0} \mbox{f(t) e^{-st}} \ dt[/tex]

but I don't understand the notation, is T the laplace transform of t ? Is u the unit step function?
u is *defined* in the problem. yes, it is a step function, but the step does not occur at zero. tell us: where does the step occur?
so u(s) = 1/s ?
no. u depends on T as a parameter, so too will the transform depend on T as a parameter. if T happened to be zero then you *would* be correct, but T is not (necessarily) zero.

your teacher or professor or whoever obviously wants you to evaluate the integral that defines the transform. The first one should be very easy if you know how to integrate an exponential function by itself. I.e., do you know the value of this integral
[tex]
\int_a^b e^x
[/tex]

?

1. What is the purpose of deriving Laplace Transforms?

The purpose of deriving Laplace Transforms is to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. This allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the function, as certain operations such as differentiation and integration become simpler in the frequency domain.

2. How is a Laplace Transform derived?

A Laplace Transform is derived by taking the integral of a function multiplied by an exponential term with a variable exponent. This integral is evaluated from 0 to infinity, and the resulting expression is called the Laplace Transform of the function.

3. What is the mathematical notation for a Laplace Transform?

The mathematical notation for a Laplace Transform is L{f(t)}, where f(t) is the function being transformed.

4. What are some common applications of Laplace Transforms?

Laplace Transforms are commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations, analyze control systems, and study the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also used in signal processing and probability theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transforms?

One limitation of using Laplace Transforms is that they are only applicable to functions with finite integrals over the interval 0 to infinity. Additionally, they may not be suitable for certain functions with rapidly oscillating or decaying behavior.