How Does the Method of Images Simplify Electrostatic Problems?

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of images in solving a problem involving a charged sphere. The method involves replacing the sphere with an image charge and finding the potential at points on the sphere to be zero. The potential on the spherical surface can be represented as the sum of the potential from the real charge and the image charge.
timetraveller123

Homework Statement

the calculation can be
considerably simplified by using the so called method of images. In this method,
the electric field and potential produced by the induced charge distributed on the
sphere can be represented as an electric field and potential of a single point charge
placed inside the sphere, as shown in figure(b)
upload_2017-9-28_20-20-42.png

upload_2017-9-28_20-21-12.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the question a is easily solved using gauss law and and the fact that the potential at the surface of a sphere is the same
but the second part how do i go about doing it
i know there are many websites that teach how to derive the method of images but i wanted to try it out myself so i want to know a hint thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
vishnu 73 said:
the question a is easily solved using gauss law
Is it ? What is your answer, then ?

Likes timetraveller123
is it
R is radius of sphere
##
V(R) - V(\infty) = - \int^{R}_{\infty}E.dr\\
V(R) = \frac{kq'}{R}
##
your reply seems to suggest it is not easy what is wrong with this

vishnu 73 said:
is it
R is radius of sphere
##
V(R) - V(\infty) = - \int^{R}_{\infty}E.dr\\
V(R) = \frac{kq'}{R}
##
your reply seems to suggest it is not easy what is wrong with this
The image charge is not at the middle of the sphere, its potential is not kq'/R on the surface of the sphere.
The sphere must be at zero potential (it is grounded). The potential on the spherical surface is the sum of that of the real charge q and the image charge q'.

Likes timetraveller123
ehild said:
The image charge is not at the middle of the sphere, its potential is not kq'/R on the surface of the sphere.
but wouldn't still the electric field leaving the gaussian surface be given just by the charge inside and not as where the charge is located inside it

ehild said:
The potential on the spherical surface is the sum of that of the real charge q and the image charge q'.
i am not really understanding this part would you mind explaining it a bit more

vishnu 73 said:
but wouldn't still the electric field leaving the gaussian surface be given just by the charge inside and not as where the charge is located inside it
It is the electric flux that is given by the enclosed charge. Do you know the electric field caused by both charges at points of the sphere? You have to integrate that electric field.

vishnu 73 said:
You have two charges, q and q'. Both contribute to the potential at any points, so also at points of the spherical surface.

Last edited:
vishnu 73 said:
In a way, yes. But it doesn't tell you how it is distributed. Your result assumes a spherical symmetry that is not present: there is only cylindrical symmetry (around the axis joining ##q## with the center of the sphere).
vishnu 73 said:
The potential problem has a unique solution. That means that if you find a solution that satisfies the Laplace equation, then you have THE solution. The method of images exploits this for the part of space outside the sphere: you wiggle a ##q'## in such a way that the boundary condition ##V=0## is satisfied on the surface of the sphere.

Likes ehild
ok then this is what i have

v is the potential
v(centre) = 0 hence potential cause by q' at centre is opposite of potential of potential caused by q at centre
##
\frac{k q}{d} = -\frac{kq'}{d'}\\
\frac{ q d'}{d} = -q'\\
##
the potential at left intersection of axis and circle is also zero hence at there also potential caused by q' is opposite of potential caused by q
##
V(surface) = 0\\
\frac{kq}{d-R} = -\frac{kq'}{R-d'}\\
\frac{q}{d-R} = -\frac{q'}{R-d'}\\

solving ,\\

d' = \frac{Rd}{2d-R}\\
q' = \frac{-qR}{2d-R}
##
is this correct?

Last edited:
vishnu 73 said:
##

\frac{ q d'}{d} = -q'\\

V(surface) = 0\\
\frac{kq}{d-R} = -\frac{kq'}{R-d'}\\
\frac{q}{d-R} = -\frac{q'}{R-d'}\\

solving ,\\

d' = \frac{Rd}{2d-R}\\
q' = \frac{-qR}{2d-R}
##
is this correct?
No. What is the meaning of your equations?

i have edited it is this what you meant

vishnu 73 said:

v is the potential
v(centre) = 0 hence potential cause by q' at centre is opposite of potential of potential caused by q at centre
##
\frac{ q d'}{d} = -q'\\
##

No, why should it be so?
When you apply the method of images, you replace the sphere by the image charge. You do not have a metallic sphere any more, only two point charges. These two charges should make the potential zero at the points of the original sphere.

Likes timetraveller123
ehild said:
These two charges should make the potential zero at the points of the original sphere.
isn't that what i did

edit
or are saying i should n't use centre but instead the right intersection as another point

vishnu 73 said:
isn't that what i did

edit
or are saying i should n't use centre but instead the right intersection as another point
The centre is irrelevant. But the potential must be zero at every point of the sphere, at points A and B, for example.
upload_2017-10-1_15-11-28.png

It can be shown that the potential is zero everywhere on the spherical surface, if it is zero at both A and B.
Using d' and q', you can calculate the electric field/potential outside the sphere, but not inside.

ok thanks with the problem how do you show the potential on the surface is zero all the way if a and b is zero is it that the potential on the surface of a conductor is constant

On the surface of an ideal conductor the electric field lines have to be perpendicular to the surfacae: if the parallel component would be non-zero, the charges would simply move along the surface, rearranging themselves until that parallel component is zero. That means the surface of an ideal conductor is an equipotential surface (##\ \Delta V = \int \vec E\cdot\vec {dl}\ ##).

And if the conductor is grounded, that potential has the value zero.

Likes timetraveller123
BvU said:
On the surface of an ideal conductor the electric field lines have to be perpendicular to the surfacae: if the parallel component would be non-zero, the charges would simply move along the surface, rearranging themselves until that parallel component is zero. That means the surface of an ideal conductor is an equipotential surface (##\ \Delta V = \int \vec E\cdot\vec {dl}\ ##).

And if the conductor is grounded, that potential has the value zero.
ok now i see thanks all for the help

You're welcome. Thanks to Ersbeth ( @ehild ) too !

Did you obtain a satisfactory expression and check with examples on the web ?

BvU said:
Did you obtain a satisfactory answer and check with examples on the web ?
i don't get what you mean the answers were satisfactory and insightful but i don't get what you mean in the second part

1. What is the method of images?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve problems in electrostatics. It involves creating a fictitious set of charges, called image charges, to mimic the behavior of the original set of charges in a given system.

2. How does the method of images work?

The method of images works by using the principle of superposition to find the electric potential at a point in space. This is done by considering the electric potential contributions from both the original set of charges and the fictitious image charges.

3. When should the method of images be used?

The method of images is most useful for solving problems involving conductors and dielectric materials with known boundary conditions, such as a point charge near a conducting plane or a conducting sphere in a uniform electric field.

4. What are the advantages of using the method of images?

One advantage of using the method of images is that it can simplify complex problems by reducing them to simpler configurations that are easier to solve. Additionally, the method of images can provide insight into the behavior of electric fields and charges in a given system.

5. Are there any limitations to the method of images?

While the method of images is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to problems with known boundary conditions and cannot be used to solve problems involving time-varying electric fields. In addition, the method of images may not always provide the most accurate results and should be used with caution in certain situations.