1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Peng-Robinson Entropy Departure Function

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. The two expressions are, in fact, equal.

An excerpt from a book at this link, http://webpages.sdsmt.edu/~ddixon/Departure_Fxns.pdf, states that the entropy departure function for any equation of state is equal to the following (Eqn. 4.4-28):

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=RlnZ+\int^{v_{T,P}}_{v→∞}[(\frac{∂P}{∂T})_{v}-\frac{R}{v}]dv[/itex]

And that the specific entropy departure function for the Peng-Robinson EOS is (Eqn. 4.4-30):

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=Rln(Z-B)+\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{2\sqrt{2}b}ln[\frac{Z+(1+\sqrt{2})B}{Z+(1-\sqrt{2})B}][/itex]

The Peng-Robinson EOS is:

[itex]P=\frac{RT}{v-b}-\frac{a}{v(v+b)+b(v-b)}[/itex]

Where:

[itex]a=0.45724\frac{R^{2}T^{2}_{c}}{P_{c}}[1+κ(1-\sqrt{\frac{T}{T_{c}}})]^{2}[/itex]

[itex]b=0.07780\frac{RT_{c}}{P_{c}}[/itex]

κ is a constant that depends on the acentricity of the specific chemical species.

The other parameters A,B, and Z used in the above equations are:

[itex]A=\frac{aP}{R^{2}T^{2}}[/itex]

[itex]B=\frac{Pb}{RT}[/itex]

[itex]Z=\frac{Pv}{RT}[/itex]

My problem is that I can't figure out how to derive the Peng-Robinson entropy departure function from the integral definition I gave above. When I evaluate [itex](\frac{∂P}{∂T})_{v}[/itex], I get:

[itex](\frac{∂P}{∂T})_{v}=\frac{R}{v-b}-\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{v(v+b)+b(v-b)}[/itex]

And when I evaluate the integral using this equation, I get:

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=Rln(Z)+Rln(\frac{∞}{v})+Rln(\frac{v-b}{∞-b})+\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{\sqrt{2}b}ln[(\frac{v+b(1+\sqrt{2})}{\sqrt{(v+b)^{2}-2b^{2}}})(\frac{\sqrt{(∞+b)^{2}-2b^{2}}}{∞+b(1+\sqrt{2})})][/itex]

After simplifying, I get:

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=Rln[\frac{Z(v-b)}{v}]+\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{\sqrt{2}b}ln(\frac{v+b(1+\sqrt{2})}{\sqrt{(v+b)^{2}-2b^{2}}})[/itex]

I've been able to find that [itex]Rln[\frac{Z(v-b)}{v}]=Rln(Z-B)[/itex], thus, the equation becomes:

[itex]s_{T,P}-s^{IG}_{T,P}=Rln(Z-B)+\frac{\frac{da}{dT}}{\sqrt{2}b}ln(\frac{v+b(1+\sqrt{2})}{\sqrt{(v+b)^{2}-2b^{2}}})[/itex]

But I can't show whether this is the same as the equation given in the link (the second equation I gave in this post). And if it's not, where did I go wrong in the derivation?

Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured it out. The two expressions are, in fact, equal.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted