Deriving Planck's Law: Solving for the Integral Formula

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Planck's law for black body radiation. The person has done most of the derivation but is stuck with an integral and needs a formula for it. The formula for the integral is found to be \int^{\infty}_{0} {\frac{x^3}{e^x-1}}dx}=\frac{\pi^4}{15}. However, it is mentioned that this formula is not necessary for the problem.
raul_l

Homework Statement

I need to find the Planck's law: [tex] R(\lambda)=\frac{2hc^2}{\lambda^5}\frac{1}{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda kT}}-1} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done most of the derivation, but I got stuck with an integral: [tex] R(\lambda)=\frac{1}{4\pi^3 \hbar^3 c^2} \int^{\infty}_{0} {\frac{E^3}{\exp{{\frac{E}{kT}}}-1}}dE} [/tex]

Basically, I need a formula for [tex] \int^{\infty}_{0} {\frac{x^x}{e^x-1}}dx} [/tex]

Could anyone give me the formula or perhaps a link where I could find it myself or maybe just point me in the right direction somehow?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
raul_l said:
Basically, I need a formula for [tex] \int^{\infty}_{0} {\frac{x^x}{e^x-1}}dx} [/tex]
Assuming that the formula above contains a typo and that the xx was meant to be x3, that would mean you would like to evaluate

[tex]I = \int^{\infty}_{0} {\frac{x^3}{e^x-1}}dx}[/tex]

In which case try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law_of_black_body_radiation#Derivation

Found it: [tex] \int^{\infty}_{0} {\frac{x^3}{e^x-1}}dx}=\frac{\pi^4}{15} [/tex]

And evidently I don't really have to use it. :)

Thanks for your help.

What is Planck's law?

Planck's law, also known as the Planck radiation law, is a fundamental law of physics that describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature. It was first proposed by the German physicist Max Planck in 1900 and is a key principle in understanding the behavior of light and heat in the quantum realm.

How is Planck's law derived?

Planck's law is derived using statistical mechanics and the principles of quantum mechanics. It involves calculating the distribution of energy among the different energy states of a black body at a given temperature, and then applying the principles of thermodynamics to determine the most probable distribution. The final equation that emerges is Planck's law, which describes the relationship between the intensity of radiation emitted at different wavelengths and the temperature of the black body.

What are the assumptions made in deriving Planck's law?

The derivation of Planck's law relies on several key assumptions, including the assumption that the black body is in thermal equilibrium and that it absorbs and emits electromagnetic radiation at all wavelengths. It also assumes that the black body is a perfect emitter and absorber of radiation, meaning that it does not reflect or transmit any of the radiation that it receives.

Why is Planck's law important?

Planck's law is important because it provides a theoretical foundation for understanding the behavior of light and heat at the quantum level. It has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately describe the behavior of real black bodies, making it a crucial tool in fields such as astrophysics, cosmology, and materials science.

How is Planck's law used in practical applications?

Planck's law is used in a variety of practical applications, including the design of energy-efficient light bulbs and the development of new materials for solar panels and other energy technologies. It is also used in astronomy to study the thermal radiation emitted by stars and other celestial objects, and in remote sensing to analyze thermal images of Earth's surface.