Deriving projectile motion result

In summary: It's not clear to me what that equation is supposed to represent.In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a shell fired from a gun with an initial velocity v_0 can strike any target within the given surface equation. This surface equation is a quadratic in r and can be represented by z as a function of r. The conversation also mentions using the equations for projectile motion to solve the problem and finding the angle and coordinates of the target.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

A gun can fire an artillery shell with a speed v_0 in any direction. Show that a shell can strike any target within the surface given by:

(gr)^2 = (v_0)^4 - (2gz)*(v_0)^2

where z is height and r is horizontal distance the target is from the gun.

Homework Equations

Some useful equations that trivially derived:

(v_0*cos(k))^2 = v_0^2 -2g*z_max

z_max = ((v_0*sin(k))^2) / 2g.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having problems getting anywhere near the answer. I tried playing around with the first term after substituting (r / (r^2+z^2)^1/2) for cos(k) ( can you even do this? the surface is an arc.)

Anyone want to help guide me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

A gun can fire an artillery shell with a speed v_0 in any direction. Show that a shell can strike any target within the surface given by:

Homework Equations

You need the equation of the trajectory of the shell z=f(r), not only the maximum height and maximum distance. Check "projectile motion" in your lecture notes.

looks like I have an equation for that.
It can be trivially shown that:

z = tan(k)*x - (g / (2(vcos(k))^2)*x^2.

Do I use tan(k) = z/r
and
cos(k) = r/(r^2+z^2)^1/2
?

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having problems getting anywhere near the answer. I tried playing around with the first term after substituting (r / (r^2+z^2)^1/2) for cos(k) ( can you even do this? the surface is an arc.)

Anyone want to help guide me here?

I'd start by drawing a diagram of this surface. Note that it reduces to z as a quadratic in r, so should be easy to draw.

Then you might see a simple approach to solving it.

PsychonautQQ said:
looks like I have an equation for that.
It can be trivially shown that:

z = tan(k)*x - (g / (2(vcos(k))^2)*x^2.

Do I use tan(k) = z/r
and
cos(k) = r/(r^2+z^2)^1/2
?
k is the angle the initial velocity v makes with the horizontal. x and z or r and z are the horizontal and vertical coordinates of the target which has to be a point of the trajectory.

1. What is projectile motion and how is it derived?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It is derived using the principles of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the equations for motion in both the horizontal and vertical directions.

2. What is the formula for calculating the horizontal distance traveled in projectile motion?

The formula for calculating the horizontal distance, also known as range, in projectile motion is:
R = (v02 * sin(2θ)) / g
Where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How is the maximum height reached by a projectile calculated?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is calculated using the formula:
h = (v02 * sin2(θ)) / (2 * g)
Where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the significance of the launch angle in projectile motion?

The launch angle in projectile motion determines the shape of the trajectory and therefore affects the range and maximum height reached by the projectile. A launch angle of 45 degrees will result in the maximum range, while a launch angle of 90 degrees will result in the maximum height reached.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the derived projectile motion result?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the derived projectile motion result, including air resistance, wind, and the initial velocity. In addition, any errors in measuring the initial velocity or launch angle can also impact the accuracy of the result.