Deriving stefan-boltzman's law

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation of Stefan-Boltzmann's law in an introductory thermodynamics class, which involves concepts from statistical mechanics. The first part of the derivation focuses on the energy-density of the electromagnetic radiation inside a black body at temperature T. Later, the conversation touches upon the use of frequency space and density of states. The main confusion arises from the connection between swinging modes, density of states, and the number and energy of photons. The explanation for this involves the quantum mechanical nature of photon wavelengths and the limitation of the number of photons in a certain energy range.
Nikitin
Hi! As my professor is a bit crazy (in a good way), he derived Stefan-Boltzman's law in my intro thermodynamics class. However, since he introduced loads of concepts from statistical mechanics and such I got a bit confused on some points. Anyway:

The first part of the derivation:

Inside a black body at temperature ##T## you have a cavity, of which inside the energy-density of the EM radiation is ##u## and is proportional to ## T^4##.

Then: ##u(T) = \int d u = \int_0^{\infty} df \cdot \frac{du}{df}##. From there ##\frac{du}{df}= \frac{d(U/V)}{df} = \frac{d( N <E>/V)}{df} =\frac{<E>}{V} \cdot \frac{dN}{df}##, where ##<E>## is the mean energy per state ("swinging mode") and ##dN/df## is the density of states.

My question: Ehm, what happened here? ##df## is a frequency band, ##U## is the total EM energy inside the cavity and ##V## its Volume. Then shouldn't ##N## be the number of photons, and ##<E>## be the mean energy of the photons? Can somebody explain to me how he linked that to "swinging modes" and "density of states" ??

Later he starts talking about frequency space, and density of states and so on. This confuses me. I should probably ask him personally about that once I've got the stuff above cleared up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know if you had it explained to you already, but here's what I dusted off from very old memories of this:
Point is that photon wavelengths quantummechanically no longer have a continuous spectrum, but have to "fit" in the cavity. Consequence is that the possible ##\vec k## are grid points in 3D k space. Energy is proportional to k2, so the number of allowed photons with an energy between E and E + dE is proportional to the number of grid points in a shell between radius k and k+dk.

The step you "Ehm" about the most would be ##{d(U/V)\over df}={ d(N<E>/V)\over df}## ? This just says that total EM energy ##U## in a frequency band f to f+df is the number of photons that can have this energy times the energy per photon. Classically this number is infinite, QM says it's limited to this number of grid points between E and E + dE.

What is Stefan-Boltzmann's law?

Stefan-Boltzmann's law is a physical law that states that the total radiation emitted by a blackbody is directly proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. In other words, it describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of thermal radiation it emits.

How is Stefan-Boltzmann's law derived?

Stefan-Boltzmann's law can be derived using the principles of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics. It involves integrating the spectral radiance of a blackbody over all wavelengths and then applying the Planck's law of blackbody radiation. This results in the mathematical expression for the law, which states that the total energy emitted per unit time by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is a theoretical object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and also emits radiation at all wavelengths. It is a perfect emitter and absorber of thermal radiation, making it an ideal object for studying the principles of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.

How is Stefan-Boltzmann's law used in real-world applications?

Stefan-Boltzmann's law has various practical applications, such as in the design of solar panels, predicting the surface temperatures of planets and stars, and calculating the energy output of light bulbs and other heating devices. It is also used in climate science to understand the Earth's energy balance and the effects of greenhouse gases on the planet's temperature.

What are some limitations of Stefan-Boltzmann's law?

One limitation of Stefan-Boltzmann's law is that it assumes the object is a perfect blackbody, which is not always the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the law does not take into account the effects of other factors such as convection and conduction, which can also influence an object's thermal radiation. Furthermore, the law only applies to objects that are in thermodynamic equilibrium, which is not always the case for objects in the real world.