1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Stokes parameters for polarization

1. May 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello i am trying to write the Stokes parameters as the amplitude of the averaged EM-wave

We know the stokes parameters are {I,M,C,S} or {S0,S1,S2,S3} thus a column vector.

And S0 is defined as S0=<E2x0>T+<E2y0>T

S0 i understand how it was derived since Filter 0 is an isotropic filter it doesnt have any direction preference.

But now comes my problem i`m attempting to derive

S1 =<E2x0>T-<E2y0>T

2. Relevant equations

Eq1 S0=2I0
    Eq2 S1=2I1-2I0

Whereby I1 is the transmitted irradiance through a horizontal polarizing filter.

3. The attempt at a solution

We know I0=(1/2)*(<E2x0>T+<E2y0>T)

and I1=(1/2)*<E2x0>T

Thus if i now substitute I0 and I1 into Eq 2 i get S1=-<E2y0>T where as it is supposed to be

S1=<E2x0>T-<E2y0>T

I think the problem sits in the definitions of I0 and I1 so if you see which thinking step im doing wrong i would appreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted