1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the chi-square density function

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a standard i.i.d. Gaussian random vector [itex]\mathbf{X} = [X_1 \cdot \cdot \cdot X_n]^T[/itex] and its squared magnitude
    [itex]||\mathbf{X}||^2 = \sum_{i = 1}^nX_i^2[/itex].
    According to my textbook, to derive the density function of a chi-square random variable [itex]||\mathbf{X}||^2 [/itex], one should perform three steps:

1. For n = 1, show that the PDF is
    [itex]
    f_{X^2_1}(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi x}}\exp\left(-\frac{x}{2}\right)
    [/itex]

2. For any n, show that the PDF satisfies the recursive relation
    [itex]f_{X_{n+2}^2}(x) = \frac{x}{n}f_{X_n^2}(x)[/itex]

3. Using the recursive relation as well as the PDF:s for n = 1 and n = 2, find the density for n ≥ 3.

The attempt at a solution

I did step 1 using the CDF-method, so I don't need any help with that. I was thinking step 2 could be proven by induction and this is where I'm stuck. To prove by induction I first show the recursive relation for n = 1:
    [itex]f_{X_3^2}(x) = xf_{X_1^2}(x) = \squrt{\frac{x}{2\pi}}\exp\left(-\frac{x}{2}\right)[/itex].
    I tried to do that using the CDF method:
    [itex]
    P(X_1^2 + X_2^2 + X_3^2 < x) = \int_{x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2<x}\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}\exp\left(-\frac{x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2}{2}\right)dx_1dx_2dx_3
    [/itex]

Changing to spherical coordinates and integrating I get
    [itex]
    P(X_1^2 + X_2^2 + X_3^2 < x) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_0^{\sqrt{x}}\exp\left(-\frac{r^2}{2}\right)r^2dr
    [/itex]

Differentiating back gives
    [itex]
    f_{X_3^2}(x) = \frac{2x}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\exp\left(-\frac{x}{2}\right)
    [/itex]
    But this is not what the recursive relation gives, and I don't see why. Although I didn't obtain the correct result, next I have to show that
    [itex]f_{X_{m+1+2}^2}(x) = \frac{x}{m+1}f_{X_{m+1}^2}(x)[/itex].
    I'm not sure I know how to prove that. Maybe there is another way to show the recursive relation.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?