Deriving the circuit approximation of a magnetic circuit

In summary, for the magnetic circuit, the circuit approximation can be derived and the total magnetic flux can be computed using Ohm's law. The different media can be treated as a parallel of three resistances, namely Rm, Rg1, and Rg2.
squelch
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For the magnetic circuit:
Derive the circuit approximation.
Compute all magnetic fluxes if the total solenoid current is I.
media%2F470%2F4701a26b-0e91-4529-b95c-46d0b183c325%2FphpGPl0HD.png

Homework Equations

Rm = L / μS

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Mostly, right now, I'm just trying to determine the magnetic circuit equivalent. From there it seems like simple circuit analysis. (Note that in my recreation of the diagram, I failed to add in the small L5 annotated at the top right of the larger subcircuit).
IMG_0267.jpg

Is my intuition correct in treating the different media as a parallel of three resistances? This one is a bit strange, I can't find any solid worked examples of this type with differing media.

edit: The two resistances Rg1 and Rg2 represent the air-gap.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the circuit approximation, it can be treated as a parallel of three resistances Rm, Rg1 and Rg2.The total magnetic flux can be computed using Ohm's law: Φ = I * (Rm + Rg1 + Rg2).

1. What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit is a closed path through which a magnetic flux flows. It is composed of a magnetic material with a defined cross-sectional area and length, and has a magnetic field that varies along its length.

2. Why is it important to derive the circuit approximation of a magnetic circuit?

The circuit approximation allows us to simplify the complex behavior of a magnetic circuit and analyze it using principles of electrical circuit theory. This makes it easier to calculate and predict the performance of magnetic circuits in various applications, such as motors and generators.

3. How do you derive the circuit approximation of a magnetic circuit?

The circuit approximation is derived by considering the magnetic circuit as an electrical circuit with resistors, inductors, and a voltage source. The magnetic material is represented by the inductors, and the magnetic field is represented by the voltage source. The resistors represent the air gaps or other non-magnetic materials in the circuit. The circuit can then be solved using Kirchhoff's laws and other circuit analysis techniques.

4. What are the assumptions made when deriving the circuit approximation of a magnetic circuit?

The main assumptions are that the magnetic material is linear and isotropic, the flux is confined to the material, and the flux density is constant throughout the cross-section of the material. Additionally, the circuit approximation assumes that the magnetic field is uniform in the air gaps and that there are no leakage fluxes.

5. Can the circuit approximation be used for all types of magnetic circuits?

No, the circuit approximation is most accurate for simple magnetic circuits with uniform cross-sections and materials. It may not be suitable for more complex or non-linear magnetic circuits, such as those with varying cross-sections or materials, or those with significant leakage fluxes.