Deriving the coefficients a and b in the Van der Waalls Equation of State

In summary, the Van der Waals equation of state is derived by combining the ideal gas law with terms for particle volume and intermolecular forces. The coefficients a and b in the equation represent attractive forces between particles and particle volume, respectively. These coefficients can be determined experimentally or calculated using molecular parameters. The equation is significant because it provides a more accurate model for real gases and can explain phase transitions and gas behavior at high pressures and low temperatures. However, it has limitations and may not accurately predict the behavior of all gases, especially at extreme temperatures and pressures.
Fritz
I've looked in my textbook and asked my fellow classmates, but I have had no luck in figuring out how to derive these coefficients.

Can anyone tell me how I would go about doing this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is the Van der Waals equation of state derived?

The Van der Waals equation of state is derived by combining the ideal gas law with two additional terms, one that accounts for the volume of the gas particles and one that accounts for the intermolecular forces between the particles.

2. What are the coefficients a and b in the Van der Waals equation of state?

The coefficient a represents the attractive forces between gas particles, while the coefficient b represents the volume of the particles themselves.

3. How are the coefficients a and b determined?

The coefficients a and b can be determined experimentally by measuring the critical temperature, pressure, and volume of a gas and plugging those values into the Van der Waals equation of state. They can also be calculated using molecular parameters such as the critical constants and the van der Waals constants.

4. What is the significance of the Van der Waals equation of state?

The Van der Waals equation of state is a more accurate model for real gases compared to the ideal gas law, as it takes into account the volume of the gas particles and the intermolecular forces between them. It is also used to explain phase transitions and the behavior of gases at high pressures and low temperatures.

5. Are there any limitations to the Van der Waals equation of state?

Yes, the Van der Waals equation of state is not applicable to all gases and may not accurately predict their behavior. It also does not account for other factors such as molecular shape and dipole moments. In addition, it becomes less accurate at extreme temperatures and pressures.