Deriving E&B Fields from Plane Wave 4-Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving electric and magnetic fields from a four-potential in the Lorenz gauge. The magnetic field is correctly obtained by taking the real part of the cross product of the spatial components of the constant future-pointing lightlike vector and orthogonal vector. However, there is confusion about the correct formula for the electric field and the sign in the exponent of the sinusoidal argument. It is determined that the sign choice does not affect the real part of the exponential and is a matter of preference, but it does affect the metric convention.
SiennaTheGr8
TL;DR Summary
Having trouble deriving the electric field of a plane wave from the four-potential.
I'm trying to derive the electric and magnetic fields of a plane wave from the four-potential ##\mathbf{A} = (A^t , \mathbf{a}) ## in the Lorenz gauge. Given:

##\mathbf{A}(\mathbf{R}) = \Re \left( \mathbf{C} e^{i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}} \right)##

for constant future-pointing lightlike ##\mathbf{K} = (K^t, \mathbf{k})## and constant ##\mathbf{C} = (C^t , \mathbf{c})## orthogonal to ##\mathbf{K}##, I think I correctly get the magnetic field by taking the real part of this:

##\nabla \times \mathbf{a} = \nabla \times \left( \mathbf{c} e^{i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}} \right) = \nabla e^{i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}} \times \mathbf{c}##,

which gives me ##\mathbf{B} = \sin (\mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}) (\mathbf{k} \times \mathbf{c}) ##. That seems reasonable, and if it's right then I expect ##\mathbf{E}## to have magnitude ##\sin (\mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}) \Vert \mathbf{k} \times \mathbf{c} \Vert## and be perpendicular to both ##\mathbf{B}## and ##\mathbf{k}## (and perhaps parallel to ##\mathbf{c}##?). But I'm having trouble:

##- \nabla A^t - \partial^t \mathbf{a} = - \nabla \left( C^t e^{i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}} \right) - \partial^t \left( \mathbf{c} e^{i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}} \right) = -C^t \nabla e^{i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}} - \mathbf{c} \partial^t e^{i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}}##.

If the first term vanishes, taking the real part of the second term I get ##\mathbf{E} = \sin (\mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}) k \mathbf{c}##, which works if it's true that ##\mathbf{c} \parallel \mathbf{E}## (correct magnitude, and correct right-handed set for ##\mathbf{E}##, ##\mathbf{B}##, and ##\mathbf{k}##). Otherwise, for the first term I get:

##-C^t \nabla e^{i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}} = -i e^{i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}} C^t \mathbf{k}##,

whose real part I think is ##\sin (\mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}) C^t \mathbf{k}##, giving:

##\mathbf{E} = \sin (\mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}) \left( C^t \mathbf{k} + k \mathbf{c} \right) = \sin (\mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}) \left( (\mathbf{c} \cdot {\hat{\mathbf{k}}}) \mathbf{k} + k \mathbf{c} \right)##,

which doesn't seem right at all, unless it's true that ##\mathbf{c} \perp \mathbf{k}## in all frames (the condition under which the first term drops out). But I haven't been able to prove to myself that ##\mathbf{c} \perp \mathbf{k}## is a Lorentz-invariant statement. In fact, the notion seems silly, because unless I'm missing something it's equivalent to saying that I can't boost to a frame in which ##C^t \neq 0##.

Given that ##\mathbf{K}## is lightlike and ##\mathbf{C}## is orthogonal to it (and obviously spacelike), does it follow that their spatial three-vector components ##\mathbf{k}## and ##\mathbf{c}## are perpendicular in all Lorentz frames? If so, is it easily demonstrated? And if not, can you spot where I've gone off the rails?

Physics news on Phys.org
It occurs to me that I probably made a sign error (or errors), but that otherwise I was on the right track. If instead of:

## \mathbf{E} = \sin (\mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}) \left( C^t \mathbf{k} + K^t \mathbf{c} \right) ##

it were:

## \mathbf{E} = \sin (\mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}) \left( C^t \mathbf{k} - K^t \mathbf{c} \right) ##,

then ## \mathbf{E} \perp \mathbf{k}## as desired, since ##C^t \mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{k} - K^t \mathbf{c} \cdot \mathbf{k} = C^t K^{t \, 2} - C^t K^{t \, 2}## (and of course ##\mathbf{E} \perp \mathbf{B}##, since the former is coplanar with ##\mathbf{c}## and ##\mathbf{k}## while the latter is perpendicular to them).

Additionally, I think this sign correction gives ##E = B \propto ck \sin \theta_{[ \mathbf{c}, \mathbf{k} ]}##:

##\left( C^t \mathbf{k} - K^t \mathbf{c} \right) = ck \left( (\mathbf{\hat c} \cdot \mathbf{\hat k}) \mathbf{\hat k} - \mathbf{\hat c} \right) = ck \left( \mathbf{\hat k} \cos \theta - \mathbf{\hat c} \right)##,

where ##\Vert \mathbf{\hat k} \cos \theta - \mathbf{\hat c} \Vert ^2 = \left( \mathbf{\hat k} \cos \theta - \mathbf{\hat c} \right) \cdot \left( \mathbf{\hat k} \cos \theta - \mathbf{\hat c} \right) = 1 - \cos^2 \theta = \sin^2 \theta##.

I'll still have to find my sign error(s), but this looks promising (in case anyone was wondering...).

You can always choose your polarisation vector to have time-component of zero by subtracting from it a vector proportional to the wave vector. This will not change the EM fields.

Likes SiennaTheGr8
I have a related question—

In some sources I see a negative sign on the exponent like ##e^{-i \mathbf{K} \cdot \mathbf{R}}##, and in others I don't. Is this an arbitrary choice, or does it correspond to the chosen sign convention for the Minkowski dot product? That is, must one make the exponent negative if the Minkowski product gives ##K^t ct - \mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{r}##, so that the sinusoidal argument becomes ##\mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{r} - K^t ct##?

The real part of ##e^{-ik\cdot x}## and ##e^{ik\cdot x}## are the same. You will also get a redefinition of the polarisation vector. Of course, you will also get a difference in terms of the metric convention. Always check the metric convention.

Ah, I think I get it: cosine is obviously an even function, and although after differentiation (of the exponential) the real part will be an odd function (sine), you also inherit the correct sign from the exponent.

So it really is just a matter of preference whether to slap a negative sign up there (to get a classic "##x - t##" argument instead of "##t - x##"). Either way, you end up with a right-handed set of ##\mathbf{E}, \mathbf{B}, \mathbf{k}##, yeah?

1. What is the 4-potential in electromagnetism?

The 4-potential, also known as the electromagnetic potential, is a mathematical construct used in electromagnetism to describe the electric and magnetic fields in terms of a single quantity. It is a combination of the electric potential and the magnetic vector potential.

2. How do you derive E&B fields from the 4-potential?

The E&B fields can be derived from the 4-potential using the Maxwell's equations, specifically the equations for the electric and magnetic fields in terms of the 4-potential. These equations involve taking the gradient and curl of the 4-potential, resulting in the electric and magnetic fields.

3. What is the significance of deriving E&B fields from the 4-potential?

Deriving the E&B fields from the 4-potential allows for a more elegant and concise description of the electromagnetic fields. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields and the underlying physics of electromagnetism.

4. Are there any limitations to deriving E&B fields from the 4-potential?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. It is only applicable in the case of plane wave solutions, where the electric and magnetic fields are uniform in space and time. It also assumes that the fields are propagating in a vacuum, without any external sources or charges.

5. How is the 4-potential related to the electromagnetic potential and vector potential?

The 4-potential is a combination of the electromagnetic potential and vector potential. The electromagnetic potential is a scalar quantity that describes the electric potential, while the vector potential is a vector quantity that describes the magnetic field. Together, they make up the 4-potential, which is a four-dimensional vector in spacetime.