Deriving the EM Hamiltonian

• Thread starter RedX
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

For some reason I can't derive the Hamiltonian from the Lagrangian for the E&M field. Here's what I have (using +--- metric):

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\mathcal L=\frac{-1}{4}F_{ \mu \nu}F^{ \mu \nu}

\\

\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\delta \dot{A_\mu}}=-F^{0 \mu}

\\

\mathcal H=\Pi^\mu \dot{A}_\mu -\mathcal L=-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu +\frac{1}{4}F_{ \mu \nu}F^{ \mu \nu}
=-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu+\frac{1}{4}(2F_{0i}F^{0i}+F_{ij}F^{ij})
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

But F0i=Ei, and Fij=-Bk, so this is equal to:

[tex]
\mathcal H=-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu+\frac{1}{2}(-E_{i}^2+B_{i}^2) [/tex]

The Hamiltonian however should be one half the sum of the squares of the electric and magnetic fields. But I can't figure out what I did wrong. I almost have it, as the first term almost adds to the 2nd term to give that, but not quite.

Also, I'm not quite sure when using the (+---) metric whether the canonical momenta is:

[tex]
\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial^0 A_\mu}
[/tex]
or

[tex]
\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial_0 A_\mu}[/tex]

I don't think it matters in the derivation of the Hamiltonian, but which one do you use in the canonical commutation relations for example?

Answers and Replies

fzero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
OK, I missed a term the first time around. We can write

[tex]
-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu = -F^{0 i}\partial_0{A}_i = - F^{0i}( F_{0i} + \partial_i A_0 ) = E_i^2 + E_i (\partial_i A_0)
[/tex]

Then

[tex]
\mathcal H=-F^{0 \mu}\dot{A}_\mu+\frac{1}{2}(-E_{i}^2+B_{i}^2) =\frac{1}{2}(E_{i}^2+B_{i}^2) + E_i (\partial_i A_0).
[/tex]

The last term can be written as

[tex] \partial_i ( A_0 E_i) - A_0 ( \partial_i E_i) .[/tex]

The total derivative will vanish in the volume integral, while the second term vanishes by Gauss' law in the absence of sources.

I believe that there's a cleaner way of doing things by treating the choice of gauge as either a 1st or 2nd class constraint, but I don't remember the details.

Last edited:
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Also, I'm not quite sure when using the (+---) metric whether the canonical momenta is:

[tex]
\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial^0 A_\mu}
[/tex]
or

[tex]
\Pi^\mu=\frac{\delta \mathcal L}{\partial_0 A_\mu}[/tex]
It doesn't matter whether the 0 is upstairs or downstairs, if you're using the (+---) metric. It would have mattered however if you were using the (-+++) metric, of course. However, for consistency and esthetical reasons, the 0 should be downstairs when it's the time derivative of the vector potential. So the second formula in my quote is the right one to use.

And the canonical hamiltonian for a constrained system is always computed on the hypersurface of primary constraints. In your case, it's the hypersurface [itex] \Pi_{0} = \Pi^{0} = 0 [/itex].

To find the hamiltonian in terms of the classical fields E and B, first compute wrt the potentials and the canonical momenta.