1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the equation for drag

1. Jan 3, 2004 #1
    could someone tell me how to derive the equation for drag or send me a site that can do it.

Fd = [Coefficient of drag * density * Area (cross-sectional)*v^2 ] / 2

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2004 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't find a site which explains it, and it's been a year since I've taken the class, so I wouldn't be able to do it justice.

Drag (and lift) are both determined first by integrating pressure and shear forces over the surface of the airfoil. Then, they are converted to the Coefficients by dividing by the dynamic pressure. That division is validated by the Buckingham Pi Theorem.

Unfortunately, every site I've found is merely an aerodynamics course syllabus which lists the topic and cites the textbook my class used (and my professor wrote FWIW... makes me happy about my education).

This is the textbook. It's expensive... I'd check to see if they've got it in the library. Everything you need is in the first chapter.

4. Jan 4, 2004 #3
  5. Jan 5, 2004 #4

Fd(Density) = Coeficient of Drag*Density*Area∫v dv

6. Jan 6, 2004 #5

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Deriving the equation for drag

Uh... no.

rho*A*V^2 is comes from Mach number relationships, not integrating velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?