Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving the expression for the diffusion constant

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1
    I have a question of the form, "how did they go from this step to that step?" I am following a paper from R. Kubo, called "The fluctuation-dissipation theorem". I suspect variable substitution and a simple assumption are used, but I don't know how. Here is the basic expression from which everything else follows.

[tex]D=lim_{t\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{2t}<\{x(t)-x(0)\}^2>[/tex]​

Since we have

[tex]x(t)-x(0)=\int{v(t')dt'}[/tex]​

where the limits of the integration are 0 to t, we substitute the second equation into the first equation to get

[tex]D=lim_{t\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{2t}\int{\int{dt_{1}dt_{2}<v(t_{1})v(t_{2})}}>[/tex]​

again, the limits of both integrals are from 0 to t. (Here comes the step I don't understand)

[tex]D=lim_{t\rightarrow\infty}\frac{1}{t}\int{dt_{1}}\int{dt'<v(t_{1})v(t_{1}+t')}>[/tex]​

where the limits of the outer integral are from 0 to t, and the limits of the inner integral are from 0 to [tex](t-t_{1})[/tex]

It looks like the substitution [tex]t'=t_{2}-t_{1}[/tex] was made. But what happened to the upper limit of integration?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2005 #2
    I think it is not that difficult. let's call [tex]t_1=x[/tex] and [tex]t_2=y[/tex] and:

[tex] <v(x) v(y)> = f(x,y) [/tex]​
    The integral

[tex]I = \int \int dx dy f(x,y) [/tex]​
    is a 'volume integral' it should be called

[tex] \int_{R(t)} f(x,y) [/tex]​
    Now notice that [tex] f(x,y) = f(y,x) [/tex], and since we want to integrate this over the box (bound by x=0, y=0, x=t and y=t) it is equal to integrate this twice over the triangle bound by x = 0, y=x, y=t. Then by Fubini's theorem

[tex]I = 2 \int_{T(t)} f(x,y) = 2 \int_0^t dx \int_{x}^{t} dy f(x,y)[/tex]​
    Now substitute [tex] y=x+t' [/tex] then you should get the result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?