Deriving the Shapiro time delay

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homework problem involving integrating a function from one point to another, but is having difficulty doing so due to the presence of terms that are linear in M that were not explicitly written out. After simplifying the argument of the square root to first order in M, the student is able to finally solve the problem.
stephen cripps

Homework Statement

The step I am trying to follow is detailed here where I am trying to get from equation 6.26:
[tex]t=\int_{r_1}^{r}(1+\frac{2M}{r}+\frac{b^2V(r)}{2}+\frac{Mb^2V(r)}{r})dr[/tex]
to equation 6.30
[tex]t=\sqrt{r^2-r_1^2}+2Mln(\frac{r+\sqrt{r^2-r_1^2}}{r_1})+M(\frac{r-r_1}{r+r_1})^{1/2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]V(r)=r^{-2}(1-\frac{2M}{r})[/tex]
[tex]b=r_z(1-\frac{2M}{r_1})^{-1/2}\approx r_1(1+M/r_1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried simplifying the equation by subbing in V, however my integral:
[tex]t=\int_{r_1}^{r}(1+\frac{2M}{r}+\frac{b^2}{2})(\frac{1}{r^2}-\frac{2M}{r^4})dr[/tex]
seems to get nowhere near the required answer when integrated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Equation 6.26 in the link is misleading. It seems to imply that all of the terms that are linear in ##M## have been written out explicitly. But if you look at 6.25 there are terms of the form ##b^4V_{eff}^2##, ##b^6V_{eff}^3##, and so on that each contribute terms linear in ##M##. So, 6.25 generates an infinite number of terms that are linear in ##M##. Not a good way to go!

Try going back to 6.24 and don't expand the square root factor until you first simplify the argument of the square root to first order in ##M##.

Hi, thanks for you reply
Sorry I made a mistake in my first statement, where I put my integral in section 3 tit should show [tex]t=\int_{r_1}^r(1+\frac{2M}{r}+\frac{b^2}{2}[\frac{1}{r^2}-\frac{4M^2}{r^4}])dr[/tex]

Referring back to your solution though, is the argument not already in first order of M before it is expanded, just in a different form?

stephen cripps said:
Referring back to your solution though, is the argument not already in first order of M before it is expanded, just in a different form?
Consider the term ##\frac{3}{8}b^4V_{eff}^2## that occurs in 6.25 but is not written out in 6.26. If you use the expressions for ##b## and ##V_{eff}## in terms of ##M## and expand ##\frac{3}{8}b^4V_{eff}^2##, you will see that you get a term independent of ##M##, a term linear in ##M##, as well as terms of higher order in ##M##.

So starting from 6.24, by bringing the b inside the square root, I can replace [tex](1-b^2V(r))^{1/2}[/tex] With [tex](1-\frac{r_1^2}{r^2}(1-\frac{2M}{r}+\frac{2M}{r_1}))^{1/2}[/tex]. Ignoring higher orders of M. Expanding this again however doesn't seem to get me near the right answer.

stephen cripps said:
So starting from 6.24, by bringing the b inside the square root, I can replace [tex](1-b^2V(r))^{1/2}[/tex] With [tex](1-\frac{r_1^2}{r^2}(1-\frac{2M}{r}+\frac{2M}{r_1}))^{1/2}[/tex]. Ignoring higher orders of M. Expanding this again however doesn't seem to get me near the right answer.
Your expression looks correct. It works out for me. Could you show the next few steps of how you expanded the square root to first order in M?

1. What is the Shapiro time delay?

The Shapiro time delay, also known as the Shapiro effect, is a phenomenon in general relativity where light traveling near a massive object is bent due to the curvature of spacetime. This results in a delay in the time it takes for the light to reach an observer.

2. How is the Shapiro time delay derived?

The Shapiro time delay is derived from the equations of general relativity, specifically the Schwarzschild metric which describes the curvature of spacetime around a massive object. By solving for the null geodesic equation, which describes the path of a light ray, the time delay can be calculated.

3. What are the factors that affect the Shapiro time delay?

The Shapiro time delay is affected by the mass and distance of the massive object, as well as the distance between the object and the observer. The closer the object is to the light ray and the farther the light ray travels, the greater the time delay will be.

4. What is the significance of the Shapiro time delay?

The Shapiro time delay is an important confirmation of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It has been observed in various experiments, including the deflection of light from stars passing near the sun and the delay of radio signals passing near Jupiter. It also has practical applications in the field of gravitational wave astronomy, where the time delay can be used to measure the mass and distance of distant objects.

5. Are there any alternative explanations for the Shapiro time delay?

There are alternative theories to general relativity that attempt to explain the Shapiro time delay, such as the modified Newtonian dynamics theory. However, these alternative theories have not been widely accepted and do not have as much evidence supporting them as general relativity does.