1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving Torricelli's law

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I must derive Torricelli's law.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]P+\rho gh +\frac{\rho v^2}{2} = \text{constant}[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I chose the origin of the system as being on the surface of the liquid.
    I have that [tex]P_0 = P_1+ \frac{\rho v_1^2}{2}[/tex].
    But [tex]P_1=P_0+\rho gh[/tex], so the equation is equivalent to [tex]0 = \rho gh +\frac{ \rho v_1^2}{2}[/tex].
    Hence [tex]v_1^2=- 2gh[/tex].
    I see that I made an error of sign, but I don't know where. The "x-axis"'s positive sense I considered was the one pointing to the ground.
    What did I do wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

I don't know what I was thinking about, but replanting and redoing the problem I now get an even worse answer.
    Let [tex]P_0[/tex] be the pressure on water' surface and [tex]P_1[/tex] be the pressure of the point underwater where the liquid flows.
    Using Bernoulli's equation [tex]P+\rho gh +\frac{\rho v^2}{2} = \text{constant}[/tex], at water' surface we have that [tex]P_0+\rho g \times 0 + 0 = P_0[/tex].
    At the point where the liquid flows : [tex]P_1+ \rho gh + \frac{\rho v_1^2}{2}[/tex].
    But [tex]P_1=P_0+\rho gh[/tex].
    Thus we have that [tex]P_0=P_0+\rho gh + \rho gh + \frac{\rho v_1^2}{2} \Leftrightarrow 0=2 \rho gh + \frac{\rho v_1^2}{2} \Leftrightarrow 0=2gh+\frac{v_1^2}{2} \Leftrightarrow v_1^2=-4gh[/tex].
    I should reach [tex]v_1=\sqrt {2gh}[/tex] but I'm not close to it.
    I'm wondering if I'm using the right equations. I don't see any error but there is at least one.
    Edit: I just found my error so don't lose your time helping me :) .
    [tex]P_0=P_1[/tex]. Also, I cannot chose the origin as being on water' surface so my expression get different.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook