Can you simplify \prod_{k=1}^{N-1} \sin{\frac{k\pi}{N}}?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show the equation \prod_{k=1}^{N-1} \sin{\frac{k\pi}{N}} = \frac{N}{2^{N-1}} by using Euler's equation and manipulating it to a form that resembles the identity \prod_{k=1}^n{z-\xi^k} where \xi is the n-th root of unity. By applying exponential laws and the identity \prod_{k=1}^{N-1}{z-(e^{2i\pi /N})^k}=\frac{z^N-1}{z-1}, the equation is simplified to \frac{1}{2^{N-1}}
zcd
How would I go about showing [tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1} \sin{\frac{k\pi}{N}} = \frac{N}{2^{N-1}}[/tex]

I've tried using Euler's equation to substitute sin, but it just gets messy.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do start with

[tex]\sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]

and try to get things into the following shape

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{n-1}{1-\xi^k}[/tex]

where [itex]\xi[/itex] is the n-th root of unity. Then you can use the identity

[tex]z^n-1=\prod_{k=1}^n{z-\xi^k}[/tex]

somehow.

"Be a country boy!"

What is sinΠ, what is sin2Π, what is sin3Π,... ?

Are you sure this is the question?

Last edited:
epenguin said:
"Be a country boy!"

What is sinΠ, what is sin2Π, what is sin3Π,... ?

Are you sure this is the question?
Well, the question you ask is not the question posed in the original post because you have ignored the "N" in the denominator.

Ah you're right. :redface:

micromass said:
Do start with

[tex]\sin(x)=\frac{e^{ix}-e^{-ix}}{2i}[/tex]

and try to get things into the following shape

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{n-1}{1-\xi^k}[/tex]

where [itex]\xi[/itex] is the n-th root of unity. Then you can use the identity

[tex]z^n-1=\prod_{k=1}^n{z-\xi^k}[/tex]

somehow.

I substituted it into get
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1} \frac{e^{i\frac{k\pi}{N}}-e^{-i\frac{k\pi}{N}}}{2i}[/tex]
after a bit of manipulation I arrived at
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1} \frac{-1}{2i e^{i\frac{k\pi}{N}}}\prod_{k=1}^{N-1} 1-(e^{i\frac{\pi}{N}})^k[/tex]
which remotely resembles the form. From here, how would I apply the identity and how do I get rid of that other product?

zcd said:
I substituted it into get
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1} \frac{e^{i\frac{k\pi}{N}}-e^{-i\frac{k\pi}{N}}}{2i}[/tex]
after a bit of manipulation I arrived at
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1} \frac{-1}{2i e^{i\frac{k\pi}{N}}}\prod_{k=1}^{N-1} 1-(e^{i\frac{\pi}{N}})^k[/tex]
which remotely resembles the form. From here, how would I apply the identity and how do I get rid of that other product?

To get rid of the other product is easy. Just apply your exponential laws: [itex]e^xe^y=e^{x+y}[/itex].

To apply the other identity, you have that

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1}{z-(e^{i\pi /N})^k}=\frac{z^k-1}{z-1}=...[/tex]

Our ultimate goal is to put z=1 in the above equality.

micromass said:
To get rid of the other product is easy. Just apply your exponential laws: [itex]e^xe^y=e^{x+y}[/itex].

To apply the other identity, you have that

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1}{z-(e^{i\pi /N})^k}=\frac{z^k-1}{z-1}=...[/tex]

Our ultimate goal is to put z=1 in the above equality.
I managed to change
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1} \frac{-1}{2i e^{i\frac{k\pi}{N}}}=\frac{1}{2^{N-1}}\prod_{k=1}^{N-1}\frac{i}{\exp(i\frac{k\pi}{N})}=\frac{1}{2^{N-1}}(\frac{i}{i})^{N-1}=\frac{1}{2^{N-1}}[/tex]
but I'm still trying to see how the roots of unity identity can be applied. Also, it seems that if
[tex]z^N-1=\prod_{k=1}^N{z-(e^{i\pi /N})^k}[/tex] then
[tex]z^N-1=({z-(e^{i\pi /N})^N})\prod_{k=1}^{N-1}{z-(e^{i\pi /N})^k}[/tex] so
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1}{z-(e^{i\pi /N})^k}=\frac{z^N-1}{z-(-1)}[/tex]

I missed a 2, there. It has to be

[tex]z^N-1=\prod_{k=1}^N{z-(e^{2i\pi /N})^k}[/tex]I think you're missing a 2 as well in your form. So it would have to be

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1}{z-(e^{2i\pi /N})^k}=\frac{z^N-1}{z-1}[/tex]

Now, try to use the identity

[tex]z^N-1=(z-1)(z^{N-1}+z^{N-2}+...+z+1)[/tex]

I took [tex]z=1+\epsilon[/tex] and then took [tex]\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \frac{(1+\epsilon)^N-1}{(1+\epsilon)-1}=\frac{d}{dx}(x^N)=N[/tex]for x=1

or I could do
[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{N-1}{z-(e^{2i\pi /N})^k}=\frac{z^N-1}{z-1}=\frac{(z-1)(z^{N-1}+z^{N-2}+...+z+1)}{z-1}=z^{N-1}+z^{N-2}+...+z+1[/tex] which sums up to N

Indeed, it seems you've got it!

Thanks for the help :)

1. What is the purpose of deriving trig identities?

The purpose of deriving trig identities is to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions and equations. This can make solving problems in trigonometry easier and more efficient.

2. How do you derive a trig identity?

To derive a trig identity, you must use algebraic and geometric relationships between the basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, etc.) to simplify and rearrange an expression or equation. This often involves using known identities and trigonometric properties.

3. What are some common trig identities?

Some common trig identities include the Pythagorean identities (sin²θ + cos²θ = 1), the double angle identities (sin(2θ) = 2sinθcosθ), and the sum and difference identities (sin(θ ± φ) = sinθcosφ ± cosθsinφ).

4. How can deriving trig identities be useful in real-world applications?

Deriving trig identities can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, in navigation, trig identities can be used to calculate distances and angles between points, while in physics, they can be used to model and analyze the motion of objects.

5. What is the difference between verifying and deriving a trig identity?

Verifying a trig identity involves proving that the identity is true by substituting values and simplifying both sides of the equation. On the other hand, deriving a trig identity involves starting with one side of the equation and using algebraic and geometric relationships to manipulate and simplify it until it matches the other side of the equation.