What is the derivative of a modulus function?

• Thread starter Zurtex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modulus
In summary, Feeling a little bit more confident about my calculus skills I was hoping to check if this is correct. Let’s say you have: g(|f(x)|)And you want to take the derivative with respect to x, well using the chain rule you get:\bigl( g(|f(x)|) \bigr)' = (|f(x)|)' g'(|f(x)|)Looking more closly at (|f(x)|)'. Defining it as:\left( +\sqrt{(f(x))^2} \right)'Then using the chain rule we get:
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Feeling a little bit more confident about my calculus skills I was hoping to check if this is correct. Let’s say you have:

[tex]g(|f(x)|)[/tex]

And you want to take the derivative with respect to x, well using the chain rule you get:

[tex]\bigl( g(|f(x)|) \bigr)' = (|f(x)|)' g'(|f(x)|)[/tex]

Looking more closly at [itex](|f(x)|)'[/itex]. Defining it as:

[tex]\left( +\sqrt{(f(x))^2} \right)'[/tex]

Then using the chain rule we get:

[tex](|f(x)|)' = 2f(x) f'(x) \: \frac{1}{2} \: \frac{1}{ +\sqrt{(f(x))^2} }[/tex]

Simplifying:

[tex](|f(x)|)' = f'(x) \frac{f(x)}{|f(x)|}[/tex]

Substituting back in the original equation and sorting out the problem of when f(x) = 0:

[tex]\bigl( g(|f(x)|) \bigr)' = \begin{cases}
f'(x) \frac{f(x)}{|f(x)|}g'(|f(x)|) & \text{if $ f(x) \neq 0$} \\ \\
\lim_{f(x) \rightarrow 0} \left(f'(x) \frac{f(x)}{|f(x)|}g'(|f(x)|) \right) & \text{if $ f(x) = 0$ and $ \lim_{f(x) \uparrow 0} \left( f'(x) \frac{f(x)}{|f(x)|}g'(|f(x)|) \right) = \lim_{f(x) \downarrow 0} \left( f'(x) \frac{f(x)}{|f(x)|}g'(|f(x)|) \right)$} \\ \\
\text{Undefinied} & \text{if $ f(x) = 0$ and $ \lim_{f(x) \uparrow 0} \left( f'(x) \frac{f(x)}{|f(x)|}g'(|f(x)|) \right) \neq \lim_{f(x) \downarrow 0} \left( f'(x) \frac{f(x)}{|f(x)|}g'(|f(x)|) \right)$}
\end{cases}
[/tex]

Correct? I know it all seems a bit over the top (especially when you look at the tex for it :wink:) but I like things to be well defined and in a form like this where I understand it better.

Edit: I made a mistake, it should be correct now :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it is over the top. it is easier to use mod of Y is Y if Y is positive and -Y if Y is negative, the derivative not defined if Y=0, though it is conceivalbe that g(modY) is differentiable when Y=0.

matt grime said:
it is over the top. it is easier to use mod of Y is Y if Y is positive and -Y if Y is negative, the derivative not defined if Y=0, though it is conceivalbe that g(modY) is differentiable when Y=0.
I'm not trying to find an easier method, but rather checking that my method is correct.

Although I do not claim this method to be more useful. I think it does yeld a more accurate result over some functions than the method you use, for example if you want to find the derivative with respect of x:

[tex]\left| x^n \right| \quad n \in \mathbb{N} \backslash \negmedspace \{ 1 \}[/tex]

But really more than anything I just want to check it is correct.

Edit: I just realized a big mistake in it, but I've now edited the first post accordingly.

Last edited:
but they are easily seen to be equivalent, indeed your f/modf is simply +/-1 depending on whether f is positive or negative, ie you are just not using the words 'when something is positive/negative' and making it neater, so yes your method is correct in spirit though i haven't checked the detail

matt grime said:
but they are easily seen to be equivalent, indeed your f/modf is simply +/-1 depending on whether f is positive or negative, ie you are just not using the words 'when something is positive/negative' and making it neater, so yes your method is correct in spirit though i haven't checked the detail
Neither do I write:

The derivative of the positive square root of a squared function of x, instead I represent it like:

[tex]\left( +\sqrt{(f(x))^2} \right)'[/tex]

It just fits easier in my head if I have an algebraic notation for something rather than a word notation (probably something to do with my dyslexia but whatever). Anyway, I'm glad the spirit is right, but I think I lack the correct notation with the limits. It is meant to be x approaching from smaller values (values coming from negative infinity) to reach f(x) = 0, but instead I think I've wrote f(x) approaching from smaller values to f(x) = 0, which may not make too much sense for functions like f(x) = x2.

What is a derivative of a modulus?

A derivative of a modulus is a mathematical operation that is used to find the rate of change of a modulus function at a specific point. It is also known as the slope of a tangent line to the modulus function at that point.

How is the derivative of a modulus calculated?

The derivative of a modulus can be calculated using the standard rules of differentiation, with the exception of the absolute value sign. The absolute value sign is replaced with a piecewise function to account for the different slopes of the modulus function on either side of the point of interest.

What is the significance of the derivative of a modulus?

The derivative of a modulus is important in understanding the behavior of a modulus function and its rate of change. It can help determine the maximum and minimum points of the function, as well as the direction of its slope at a given point.

What is the difference between a derivative of a modulus and a derivative of a regular function?

The main difference between a derivative of a modulus and a derivative of a regular function is that the derivative of a modulus is a piecewise function, whereas the derivative of a regular function is a continuous function. This is due to the fact that the modulus function is not differentiable at its points of discontinuity.

Can the derivative of a modulus be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a modulus can be negative. This happens when the slope of the tangent line to the modulus function is negative at a specific point. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point.