1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivitive Questions?

1. Mar 15, 2005 #1
    There are three questions on my test which I don't know what I did wrong.

The first one is:
    Differentiate the following f(x)=Cot^2(csc^2(3x-1))
    I wrote down some + which are crossed out. Should it be:
    2cot(csc^2(3x-1))(-csc^2(csc^2(3x-1)))(2)(csc(3x-1))(-csc(3x-1)cot(3x-1))(3) ?

The second is to find the the second derivitive. The first is y/(2y-x). If y' equals that and you differentiate it to get (2y-x)y"-y(2-x)/(2y-x)^2, what does the y' become? If it's zero, you can move everything but the y" over and you end up with y"=0. If it becomes y" also, how to get both y" on the same side? I just seem to move the junk over and end up with the same problem, a y" on each side.

The third question I got completely wrong. A cone shaped coffee filter of radius 5cm and height 10cm contains water which drips out a hole at the bottom at a constant rate of 2cm^3 per second. How fast is the water level falling when the height is 8cm? (v=1/3(pi)r^2h) I got 1 out of 10 points on it. I am confused as to what the 2cm^3 is. I know I need to figure out the fomula, substitute the rate I know along with the known variables and solve for the rate of the height changing. I know the height rate should be negative, but I can't figure out what the formual is supposed to be. When the height is 8, the radius is 4, but that didn't get me anywhere. I tried using V-rate of the water dripping = something. I tried solving the volume equation for h, but I don't know. How is it supposed to be done?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2005 #2
    Set up a diagram here. You need to use related rates. Here is a hint:

[tex] \frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dV}{dH} \cdot \frac{dH}{dt} [/tex]

You know [tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = \frac{2.0cm^3}{s} [/tex]

As for the first two questions, I have not had time to look at them. I'm sure somebody will come up with the solution.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?