1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivitives Help!

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A projectile is fired with initial speed Vo at an angle Θ above the horizontal over flat ground.

a. show that the distance d that the projectile goes and height h reached by the projectile are given by:

d = (Vo^2 sin2Θ)/g
    h = (Vo^2 sin^2Θ)/2g

2. Relevant equations

X = VT

Vx = V(cosΘ)
    Vy = V(sinΘ)

T = d / Vo(sinΘ)

3. The attempt at a solution

d = (Vo^2 sin2Θ)/g
    Vt = (Vo^2 sin2Θ)/g
    (Vocos(Θ))(d / Vosin(Θ)) = (Vo^2 sin2Θ)/g

dcot(Θ) = (Vo^2 sin(2Θ)/g
    dcot(Θ) = (Vo^2 * 2sin(Θ)cos(Θ))/g

Then this is where I get lost.

If I do divide cotangent of theta then would distance be proved.
    I haven't started on height yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2
    The last equation is not correct.

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The only acceleration is -g in the y direction, the initial position is (0,0), and the initial velocity is [itex]v_x= V_0 cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]v_y= V_0 sin(\theta)[/itex]:

[itex]a_x= 0[/itex], [itex]a_y= -g[/itex]

[itex]v_x= V_0 cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]v_y= -gt+ V_0 sin(\theta)[/itex]

[itex]x= V_0 cos(\theta)t+ 0[/itex], [itex] -(g/2)t^2+ V_0 sin(\theta)+ 0[/itex].

Since the problem asks for the x and y distances separately, I see no reason to combine x and y and so no reason to look at [itex]tan(\theta)[/itex] or [itex]cot(\theta)[/itex]. The projectile is NOT moving in a straight line so there is no need to look for a "slope".

(y will be largest when [itex]v_y= 0[/itex]. x will be largest when y= 0 again.)

5. Sep 29, 2011 #4
    Yes. Think about it like this: What is the slope of the parabola at its maximum?

It appears as though you are just trying to throw equations together, and work backwards, to get the answer. Take a minute and think about the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook