What are dermatomes and how are they related to spinal nerves?

• Medical
  • Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Skin
In summary, dermatomes are specific areas of skin supplied by a single spinal nerve, with eight cervical nerves, twelve thoracic nerves, five lumbar nerves, and five sacral nerves. They relay sensation, including pain, to the brain. While spinal nerves contain both efferent and afferent fibers, only a portion of each nerve supplies the skin, with the rest going to muscles. Dermatomes can be mapped in the limbs but there is overlap, making it necessary to test for loss of sensation in multiple areas to assess spinal cord or spinal nerve injury. While anatomy courses may be offered to undergraduate students, they usually only cover basic information and not in-depth topics like dermatomes, which are primarily taught to medical students and other
sameeralord
wiki-A dermatome is an area of skin that is mainly supplied by a single spinal nerve. There are eight cervical nerves, twelve thoracic nerves, five lumbar nerves and five sacral nerves. Each of these nerves relays sensation (including pain) from a particular region of skin to the brain.

My understanding is that one spinal nerve contains bothe afferent and efferent fibers. So shouldn't a dermatome have an efferent compartment as well. Do dermatomes only have afferent fibres or is it simply that we consider only the afferent part as the dermatome of that spinal nerve.

Thanks! :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org

I have no idea what you just said :smile: What kind of classes are you taking?

Monique said:
I have no idea what you just said :smile: What kind of classes are you taking?

Anatomy. :biggrin:

Dermatomes refer to the sensory components of the spinal nerves. But it is correct that spinal nerves convey both efferent and afferent fibers. Only a portion of each spinal nerve gives off the cutaneous branches that supply the skin, the rest goes elsewhere, such as the muscles (myotomes get even more confusing than dermatomes!).

Also, keep in mind that the definition you've given for dermatomes is what you see in the simplest examples, such as along the thorax and abdomen. The limbs are a bit more complicated, because the spinal nerves supplying them form plexuses first before they give off branches providing cutaneous innervation. You can roughly map out dermatomes in the limbs, but there's also overlap, which is why you'll see different dermatome maps in different textbooks...not everyone agrees on them. It also means that you won't necessarily see anesthesia of a region unless two or more spinal levels are damaged, because of that overlap. (This is of course WHY you need to learn dermatomes, because testing for loss of sensation can help assess the level and extent of a spinal cord or spinal nerve injury.)

Thanks! Good stuff!

Moonbear said:
Anatomy. :biggrin:
Ah, I know how to distinguish a hand from a foot and what the general layout of the organs in the body is, but that's generally how far my knowledge of gross anatomy goes :smile: I guess those courses were only offered to med students, it's an interesting subject though.

Monique said:
Ah, I know how to distinguish a hand from a foot and what the general layout of the organs in the body is, but that's generally how far my knowledge of gross anatomy goes :smile: I guess those courses were only offered to med students, it's an interesting subject though.

I'm curious if sameeralord is in med school or some other major. We do offer some undergrad anatomy courses for specific health-related majors, and other schools do offer more general anatomy courses for undergrad bio majors, but they usually don't bother getting much into things like dermatomes. Usually we only torture the med students with those, and give a really basic explanation to the dental students. It's really only the ER docs and neurologists who end up needing to use them in practice, the rest just need it to pass their board exams and have some general sense that an area of numbness on the skin is a good reason for referral to one of those other two types of doc.

1. What exactly is a dermatome?

A dermatome is an area of skin that is innervated by a single spinal nerve. It is responsible for providing sensory information, such as touch and temperature, from that specific area of skin to the brain.

2. How many dermatomes are there in the human body?

There are 31 dermatomes in the human body, which correspond to the 31 pairs of spinal nerves that branch off the spinal cord.

3. Why is understanding dermatomes important in medicine?

Understanding dermatomes is important in medicine because it allows healthcare professionals to identify and diagnose potential nerve damage or other neurological issues. It also helps in determining the location and extent of skin-related conditions, such as rashes or infections.

4. Can dermatomes change over time?

Yes, dermatomes can change over time due to various factors such as injury, disease, or aging. This can result in altered sensations or loss of sensation in certain areas of the skin.

5. How can dermatomes be tested or evaluated?

Dermatomes can be tested by performing a sensory examination, where the patient's response to touch, temperature, and pain is assessed in different areas of the skin. Other diagnostic tests, such as nerve conduction studies, may also be used to evaluate the function of specific dermatomes.