Derren Brown Apocalypse: Is It Real? | Physicsforums

• Thread starter jetwaterluffy
  • Start date
In summary, it seems like the patient in the YouTube video is most likely an actor, and the Derren Brown show is probably fake.
jetwaterluffy
A lot of people are saying it was faked and the patient is actually an actor (regardless of what derren said in that YouTube video). What does physicsforums think?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you talking about?

Holy cow, I hope that's an actor and not a real person they subjected to this. Not to say that actors aren't people, but you know what I mean.

I have to assume it's fake (he's an actor). If it's not fake, then the amount of work that would go into it would be ridiculous, and there would be a lot of things that could go wrong and ruin the whole thing. Plus the possible legal troubles. And from the wikipedia page "Brown claimed that to keep Steven safe during Apocalypse and in the aftermath (ensuring he doesn't suffer nightmares or posttraumatic stress disorder), there will be a subtle hint embedded deep in Steven's mind that will stop him ending up in mortal fear of such an event and reassuring him", which sounds like so much BS it's not even funny.

So why go through all that when just having him be an actor would be a million times easier? I'm convinced they wouldn't.

I really enjoy most of Derren Brown's stuff, but these super-elaborate stunts are among his least interesting, in my opinion.

I think the guy was psychologically protected by the fact Brown solicits people for his stunts and they know and have agreed to participate in something, though they know not exactly what. I can't believe in all cases the participants don't soon realize, "Oh, this must be the Derren Brown thing playing out!"

Jerry Brown is even more amazing.

zoobyshoe said:
I can't believe in all cases the participants don't soon realize, "Oh, this must be the Derren Brown thing playing out!"

You never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the public.

Galteeth said:
You never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the public.

Watch any prank patrol episode.
They are kids to be fair, but still...

What is "Derren Brown Apocalypse"?

"Derren Brown Apocalypse" is a 2012 television series starring British illusionist and mentalist Derren Brown. It follows the story of a man who believes he is the last person left on Earth after a catastrophic event, and how he learns to survive in this new world.

Is "Derren Brown Apocalypse" real or staged?

The events portrayed in "Derren Brown Apocalypse" are not real. The series is a work of fiction and involves the use of actors and special effects to create the illusion of a post-apocalyptic world. However, the psychological and social experiments conducted by Derren Brown are based on real techniques and principles.

How does Derren Brown create such realistic illusions?

Derren Brown is a highly skilled illusionist and mentalist who uses a combination of psychological techniques, misdirection, and showmanship to create his illusions. He also works closely with a team of experts in various fields, such as special effects and psychology, to bring his ideas to life.

What impact does "Derren Brown Apocalypse" have on the participants?

The participants in "Derren Brown Apocalypse" have all consented to be a part of the show and have been made aware that it is a fictional production. However, the intense and immersive nature of the experience can have a strong emotional impact on them. After the show, the participants receive psychological debriefing to ensure their well-being.

Are there any ethical concerns with "Derren Brown Apocalypse"?

Some viewers and critics have raised ethical concerns about the manipulation and psychological impact on the participants in "Derren Brown Apocalypse". However, it should be noted that all participants have given their informed consent and have been debriefed after the show. Additionally, Derren Brown has stated that the show is meant to entertain and provoke thought, rather than cause harm.