1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dervation help

1. Apr 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If 0.571 = 1-k/1-0.647k

What does K equal?

(ans K = 0.681)

2. The attempt at a solution

I have tried moving getting K on its own with no luck, I think I need to solve for K using simultaneous equations, but don't know where to start

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2012 #2
    The way you have entered this, I see:
    [itex].571 = 1 - \frac{k}{1} - 0.647k[/itex]
    This can't be what you mean, and, to be quite honest, I don't know what it is you are trying to solve. Please re-type the equation but include appropriate parentheses.

If this is just one equation, then how and why do you think you will be able to solve it with multiple equations. This is just one equation and any reasonable interpretation of the input is just a matter of multiplying both sides by some quantity and then going from there.

Also, why is this in the calc forum? Is this a part of a calc problem or something?

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    Don't worry I worked it out myself, << comment deleted by Moderator >>

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  5. Apr 9, 2012 #4
    It seems like he cared enough to type out your equation in Latex, when you couldn't be bothered trying to make your equation clear.

Make some effort, then perhaps others will too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook