Deriving a Function of Two Variables

• Thread starter brollysan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, you need to solve for F'x and F'y when given z=F(x,y) and x=f(t) while y=g(t,s). You also need to solve for dz/dt and dz/ds when given z=F(x,y).
brollysan
Derivating a function of a function with two variables

Hi i am new to this forum so please bear with me if i made a mistake or posted in the wrong section :)

Homework Statement

Given that f(x,y)= ((x^-1)+(y^-1)) find F'x and F'y
Given z= F(x,y) and x=f(t) while y= g(t,s) express dz/dt and dz/ds

Homework Equations

This i hope you can help me with, missed the lecture where the professor explained this and i can't find any relevant information in the math book nor did googling or wikipedia help.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first time i encounter derviation of functions, I have no problems derivating equations and most of my life i just had to derivate X, this is why i have no clue as to how i should solve this problem.

F'x= -1/(x)^2 and F'y= -1/(y)^-2

I hope you can explain it to me instead of just giving an answer and i will be grateful.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the bad english

Edit: Even the name of the subject this problem touches would be ok, and hopefully some links :D more fun that way

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
brollysan said:
Hi i am new to this forum so please bear with me if i made a mistake or posted in the wrong section :)

Homework Statement

Given that f(x,y)= ((x^-1)+(y^-1)) find F'x and F'y
Given z= F(x,y) and x=f(t) while y= g(t,s) express dz/dt and dz/ds

Homework Equations

This i hope you can help me with, missed the lecture where the professor explained this and i can't find any relevant information in the math book nor did googling or wikipedia help.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the first time i encounter derviation of functions, I have no problems derivating equations and most of my life i just had to derivate X, this is why i have no clue as to how i should solve this problem.

F'x= -1/(x)^2 and F'y= -1/(y)^-2

I hope you can explain it to me instead of just giving an answer and i will be grateful.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the bad english

Edit: Even the name of the subject this problem touches would be ok, and hopefully some links :D more fun that way
You are dealing with partial derivatives since F depends upon two independent variables.
What you are calling "F'x" and "F'y" would be more properly called [itex]\partial F/\partial x[/itex] and [itex]\partial F/\partial y[/itex] or just Fx and Fy, respectively.

The partial derivative of a function, with respect to x, is jus the derivative treating y as a constant. What is dF/dx if F(x)= x-1+ C for some constant C? What is dF/dy if F(y)= C+ y-1?

Thank you so much, i am going to try and find relevant information on this subject and learn it by myself :) thanks again. I will solve the querstions you asked in a few hours, have to eat first.

Allright for the second part of the problem i have that z = F(x,y)= F(f(t), g(t,s))

I understand that dz/dt= F'x(x,y)dx/dt + F'y(x,y)dy/dt

But what about dz/ds, how do i proceed there?

Edit:

seeing as s isn't a function of f(x)=x is x a constant when you derivate dz/ds? If x is a constant, would the correct answer be

dz/ds= F'y(x,y)(dy/ds)?

Last edited:
Hey
Yes it is correct. As x has no dependence on s
[tex]\frac{\partial{x}}{\partial{s}}=0[/tex]

Thank you :)

Edit: How do you guys manage to write the symbols in here? Html code?

Last edited:

What is a function of two variables?

A function of two variables is a mathematical relation that maps every combination of two inputs, typically represented by x and y, to a unique output. It can be written as f(x,y) = z, where x and y are the independent variables and z is the dependent variable.

How do you derive a function of two variables?

To derive a function of two variables, you need to use the concept of partial derivatives. This involves taking the derivative of the function with respect to one variable while holding the other variable constant. The resulting expression will be the partial derivative of the function with respect to that variable.

What is the purpose of deriving a function of two variables?

Deriving a function of two variables allows us to understand the rate of change of a function in different directions. It also helps us to find the critical points, where the derivative is equal to zero, and to determine the shape of the function.

What are some common examples of functions of two variables?

Some common examples of functions of two variables include the quadratic function f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2, the linear function f(x,y) = 3x + 2y, and the trigonometric function f(x,y) = sin(x)cos(y).

How is a function of two variables graphically represented?

A function of two variables is typically graphed on a three-dimensional coordinate system, with the x and y axes representing the independent variables and the z axis representing the dependent variable. The graph of the function will be a surface in this three-dimensional space.