Descartes, lunar eclipses, and the speed of light

In summary, during a lunar eclipse, Descartes claimed that the speed of light had to be infinite in order for the sun, moon, and Earth to be in alignment. However, this claim was later proven to be incorrect. The question remains as to why Descartes made this claim, as it seems to be based on a flawed understanding of the speed of light.
pseudonym
Hello all.

I was doing some research on something or other (i can't rightly remember what right now) and ran across Descartes' claim that the speed of light had to be infinite because if it wasn't the co-linearity of the sun moon and Earth during a lunar eclipse wouldn't exist. (that is to say that during a lunar eclipse, unless the speed of light was infinite, the sun moon and Earth would be out of alignment.) We all know now that Descartes was mistaken, but my question is why did he make that claim to begin with? Pretending that it takes light one hour to reach the Earth from the moon (as Descartes did), it would be true (although, to my knowledge unverifible as no information can travel faster than light (whatever that speed may be)) that at the time we observed the eclipse, the moon would be out of alignment, but we would have no way of observing that. A star that collapsed into a black hole 10 years ago still looks like a star to us as long as we are more than 10 light-years away.

What was Descartes' line of thinking? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

Pseudonym

Science news on Phys.org
yes please! I am doing a project on the speed of light and when I came across that I also was very puzzled. Even thought many websites talk about the descarte eclipse thing, they all say something like "but the celestial bodies were in a straight line" without explaining how any person could possibly come to this conclusion.

What is Descartes' contribution to our understanding of lunar eclipses?

Descartes' contribution to our understanding of lunar eclipses was his theory that the Earth's shadow is responsible for the darkening of the moon during a lunar eclipse. He believed that the moon's light is reflected sunlight and that the Earth's shadow blocks the sunlight from reaching the moon.

How did Descartes explain the speed of light?

Descartes believed that light traveled instantaneously, and that it was not a physical property of matter. He thought that light was a spiritual substance that was transmitted through the ether, which he believed was a medium that filled all space.

What is the current understanding of the speed of light?

The current understanding of the speed of light is that it is a constant, with a value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This means that light travels at the same speed regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

Did Descartes' theory about lunar eclipses hold up over time?

No, Descartes' theory about lunar eclipses was eventually disproven by later scientists. It was discovered that the Earth's shadow is not responsible for the darkening of the moon during a lunar eclipse, but rather the alignment of the Earth, moon, and sun.

How did Descartes' ideas about the speed of light influence future scientific research?

Descartes' ideas about the speed of light sparked further inquiry and experimentation into the nature of light and its properties. His theories laid the groundwork for future scientists, such as Isaac Newton, to develop more accurate theories and measurements of the speed of light.