Is the simpler proof for Descartes' Rule of Signs valid?

• Thread starter Millennial
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two different proofs for Descartes' Rule of Signs, one of which is more rigorous and uses only algebra while the other relies on properties of continuous functions. The validity of the second proof is questioned due to its lack of a rigorous proof for certain claims.
Millennial
People who are actually supposed to answer this question are those who know about the Descartes' Rule of Signs, so I will not go about explaining it. The well-known proof for the Rule includes somewhat 6 lemmas and covers 7 pages or so, presented http://homepage.smc.edu/kennedy_john/POLYTHEOREMS.PDF , starting from (17). However, I came across a simpler proof that is presented http://www.math.tamu.edu/~rojas/wangdescartes.pdf , which covers somewhat 2 pages. My question is that is this last proof valid? I did not spot any mistakes so far, I am curious if you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The big difference is that the first proof is rigorous and uses only algebra, but the second one uses properties of continuous functioms which the author claims are "obvious".

They are "obvious" in the sense that you can draw some pictures to show they are plausble, but that isn't a rigorous proof. For example it is easy to invent a continuous function p(x) with p(0) > 0 and ##p(x) \rightarrow \infty## as ##x \rightarrow \infty##, which crosses the positive x-axis an infinite number of times. He doesn't attempt to prove that such a function can not be a polynomial.

Maybe, but a function that has finite maxima/minima is bound to have finite x-intercepts. Polynomials have finite maxima/minima because their derivatives are also polynomials, and a polynomial of a finite degree has finite solutions.

1. What is Descartes' Rule of Signs?

Descartes' Rule of Signs is a mathematical rule developed by French philosopher and mathematician René Descartes. It is used to determine the number of positive and negative roots of a polynomial equation.

2. How does Descartes' Rule of Signs work?

The rule states that the number of positive roots of a polynomial equation is equal to the number of sign changes in the coefficients of the terms when written in descending order. If there are no sign changes, then the number of positive roots is either 0 or even. Similarly, the number of negative roots is equal to the number of sign changes in the coefficients when written in ascending order. If there are no sign changes, then the number of negative roots is either 0 or even.

3. What is the significance of Descartes' Rule of Signs?

Descartes' Rule of Signs is important in math because it provides a quick and simple way to determine the possible number of roots of a polynomial equation without having to solve the equation. It can also give insight into the behavior of the graph of the polynomial.

4. Are there any limitations to Descartes' Rule of Signs?

Yes, Descartes' Rule of Signs has certain limitations. It only applies to polynomial equations with real coefficients and does not give the exact number of roots, but rather the maximum possible number. It also does not consider complex roots.

5. Can Descartes' Rule of Signs be used for all polynomial equations?

No, Descartes' Rule of Signs can only be used for polynomial equations with real coefficients. It cannot be used for equations with irrational, imaginary, or complex coefficients.