Descending Blimp finding Work

• Thread starter hganser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the person pulling the blimp does work against the drag. However, it is not clear from the problem statement what work is being done and how to find it.
hganser
A blimp of mass 110 kg is pulled at an angle of 52 degrees downwards with respect to the horizontal for D=7 km on level ground at a constant velocity v=14 m/s. If the coefficient of drag (K in F=Kv^2) is 0.5 kg/m, how much work is done by the person pulling?

I know how to find work with the (1/2)mv^2 formula and the Fdcos(angle) formula. But I don't know how to apply the drag into either equation.

Do I just solve for F in the coefficient of drag equation then apply it? Or are there more steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

This question is trying to get you to think about the work performed.

The blimp is not changing altitude so no change in potential energy ... so no work there.

It is moving at constant velocity, so no acceleration and no change in kinetic energy. No work there either, eh?

So where could the work be?

Could it be the force to overcome drag taken over the distance of 7 km?

Would that be using the equation they give me?
How would I find the work it takes to overcome the drag?
And the blimp is changing altitude. It is going downward at an angle.

hganser said:
Would that be using the equation they give me?
How would I find the work it takes to overcome the drag?
And the blimp is changing altitude. It is going downward at an angle.

What is work?

Force over a distance. F of drag over the 7 km. They give you the v so figure the Force of the drag. Since I read it as the blimp being pulled horizontally at constant altitude, then that drag is in the direction against which the person/truck is moving and it is the horizontal component of the tension in the cable. For figuring work isn't this then the force to be taken over the distance traveled?

As to varying altitude, I don't see that in the problem statement. I see the angle at which it is being pulled, but unless there is more to the statement of the problem I think it is at constant altitude over the distance of 7 km.

Now I see that you might read it as the blimp being pulled downward for 7 km*Sin52°, but the comment about level ground suggests otherwise. Moreover, the force against which you would be operating is not gravity, but the net buoyant force of the blimp that I don't see enough information to figure, especially given changes in atmospheric pressure over that distance.

1. What is "Descending Blimp finding Work"?

"Descending Blimp finding Work" is a scientific methodology that involves using a descending blimp, or airship, to search for and locate potential work sites or resources in a given area. This approach can be useful in various fields such as geology, ecology, and archaeology.

2. How does the descending blimp work?

The descending blimp is equipped with various sensors and instruments that can detect changes in the environment, such as temperature, humidity, and magnetic fields. It is also equipped with cameras and other imaging devices to capture aerial images of the target area. The blimp is controlled remotely by a pilot on the ground, allowing it to maneuver and descend to specific locations for closer inspection.

3. What are the benefits of using a descending blimp for finding work?

Using a descending blimp can provide a unique perspective and access to areas that may be difficult to reach by traditional methods such as ground surveys or satellite imagery. It can also cover a larger area in a shorter amount of time, making it a more efficient and cost-effective approach. Additionally, the blimp's non-invasive nature reduces the potential for damage to the environment or work site.

4. Can the descending blimp be used in any environment?

While the descending blimp can be used in a variety of environments, its effectiveness may vary depending on factors such as wind conditions, precipitation, and terrain. It is best suited for open or semi-open areas, and may not be as effective in heavily wooded or urban environments.

5. What are some potential applications of "Descending Blimp finding Work"?

Some potential applications of "Descending Blimp finding Work" include mineral exploration, wildlife tracking and monitoring, and archaeological site identification. It can also be used for disaster response and recovery efforts, such as locating survivors or assessing damage in hard-to-reach areas.