Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Descent time on cycloid

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1
    I was trying to derive the time it takes a particle to reach the bottom of a cycloid. I know the result is π√(a/g) where g is the acceleration due to gravity and a is the constant in the following parametric equations that give the cycloidal path

x(θ) = a(θ-sin[θ])

y(θ)= a(1-cos[θ])

but I am having trouble with the derivation. Here's what I have:

The time is found by t = ∫ds/v where ds is the arc length and v is the speed. The speed is easily found using energy conservation

v = √(2g(y(0)-y(t))

In terms of the parameter θ, we have

v = √(2ga(cos[ψ]-cos[θ]) where ψ gives the initial position of the particle.

The arc length ds = √(dx^2+dy^2), but since the curve is parametrized in terms of θ we can write

ds = (ds/dθ)dθ = √((dx/dθ)^2+(dy/dθ)^2)dθ

We have

dx/dθ = a(1-cos[θ])
    dy/dθ=a sin[θ]

After some simplification (squaring dx/dθ and dy/dθ, adding the squares and simplifying)

ds = a √(1-2 cos[θ])

Finally we get

t = ∫a√(1-2 cos[θ])/√(2ga(cos[ψ]-cos[θ]) with limits from ψ to π. Not sure how to approach this integral. I did find an online homework assignment that suggests to write

ds = 2 R sin[θ/2] where I assume R is what I was calling 'a', but I don't see how to apply any identity(ies) to get this result.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2
    Got it.

For starters, I made an algebraic mistake. ds should be a √(2(1-cos[θ]))

From this the half angle identity can be applied to give the 2 a sin[θ/2] result.

Also, by applying the identity cos[θ]=2 cos^2[θ/2]-1 to both terms in the denominator you can get

√(2 g a(cos^2[ψ/2]-cos^2[θ/2]). From this point its a straightforward substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook