Describe A Painting To Go With This Title

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
In summary, the painting is about a man's attempt to escape the dull and monotonous life he lives in a perfect society.
zoobyshoe
This is a kind of creativity exercise, but is the opposite of trying to find a title for a photo or painting.

"Jamie's Cruel Bubble" is the name of a very successful painting that doesn't exist on canvass. Your job is to ponder this title, and then describe the painting that goes with it. Could be representational, abstract, surreal, anything, just describe the best painting this title elicits from your imagination.

Physics news on Phys.org
what if i make a picture to go with it ? :D

can i do that ? :P
Pretty please ;)

Well I know what this brings to my mind but I wouldn't like to say.

zoobyshoe said:
This is a kind of creativity exercise, but is the opposite of trying to find a title for a photo or painting.

"Jamie's Cruel Bubble" is the name of a very successful painting that doesn't exist on canvass. Your job is to ponder this title, and then describe the painting that goes with it. Could be representational, abstract, surreal, anything, just describe the best painting this title elicits from your imagination.

I would make it a painting of a bubble, where all you see is the reflection of the artist's life reflecting off the bubbles surface. But it would show all his failures and be vastly exaggerated for emphasis.

I have jamie as a naked man crying on the floor of a busy tube station, clutching his knees against his chest and burying his head into them, and a needle by his side. He is in desperate need of help. A bubble surrounds him that the other people will neither enter nor look into nor acknowledge in any way, as if they simply don't see him.

Cheery eh? I've got the beginnings of a rather poor sketch, but its not much.

Kurdt said:
Well I know what this brings to my mind but I wouldn't like to say.

I have a feeling that we're on the same page here: a massive fart in the hot-tub. :biggrin:

I actually have a friend named Jamie. He grew up here in in Michigan, liveing in a bright pink home with his parents. I think it was the only bright pink home in the state.
When he would invite people over, all he would half to say is "The pink house", everyone knew it. Tho he loved his family, the pink house always bugged him.
His parents died, and left him the home about 5 years ago, he had so many plans for the home, first and formost, getting it re-sided in a nuteral color.
Jamie was in a accident 3 years ago and lives on a very limited income{SSI}. The Pink House ...is..."Jamie's Cruel Bubble"

Danger said:
I have a feeling that we're on the same page here: a massive fart in the hot-tub. :biggrin:

Yeah! Except to make it even worse Jamie was in the hot tub having a romantic soak with his partner/ girlfriend/ wife.

Kurdt said:
Yeah! Except to make it even worse Jamie was in the hot tub having a romantic soak with his partner/ girlfriend/ wife.
Naw! Jamie is a cute but unreserved young lady, and when she cuts loose you playfully punch her on the shoulder and open her a fresh beer.

The title makes me think of David Vetter - the "boy in a plastic bubble". So I imagine an isolated, feable, pale young man connected to an IV and staring blankly at a world that he can never know through a plastic-convered window.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Naw! Jamie is a cute but unreserved young lady, and when she cuts loose you playfully punch her on the shoulder and open her a fresh beer.

In that case I'm not sure the bubble would be particularly cruel if you didn't mind. I must admit though its an altogether more appealing image than a guy letting off in the bath. Anyway I better stick to my original plan and say no more lest I turn zooby's thread into something bad.

Apologies zoob :smile:

I envision a painting with a bunch of ramshackle houses, dogs running loose in the street, an old man with a long white beard on a bicycle, waving to children in the yards, which are small and have patches of bare dirt and brown grass. This entire scene is in dull colors. Then as you move your eyes across the canvas, this scene ends at a large, shiny gate...closed. Behind the gate, everything is bright colors...what colors there are...lots of beige and white houses, all in neat rows, with perfect lawns, and landscaping, evenly spaced trees along the edge of the wide road, white picket fences, shiny cars in every driveway, and a man in a business suit is walking from the driveway to the front door, shoulders slumped with fatigue from a long day of work, not another neighbor in sight.

It's left to the viewer of the painting to decide which of the men is Jamie living in a cruel bubble.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9430/jamiescruelbubbleoc3.jpg [Broken]

:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would make a painting of a boy looking out the window at kids playing with his parents yelling at him from behind.

JasonRox said:
I would make a painting of a boy looking out the window at kids playing with his parents yelling at him from behind.

:rofl: That's just wrong.

The first thing that popped into my head is Stanford. As in...the Stanford bubble. As in...the bubble of ignorant, sheltered idealism which Stanford students live in.

If that's not cruel, I don't know what is...

Zoob, it's going to be pretty hard to describe something abstract.

There's many ideas that popped into my head, but most are hard to describe.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Zoob, it's going to be pretty hard to describe something abstract.

Nah...my other painting, Jamie's Cruel Bubble Popped, has a big splash of blue in the middle, and then I blew red on with a straw, creating angry, spider-like lines all over the canvas, and then I got a chimpanzee to throw its choice of orange, yellow, green, purple, and brown onto the canvas. For some reason, it mostly threw brown, and that's in big blobs all over it. Then, I got one of those exploding paint bags from MythBusters, and filled them with purple, which sort of covered most of the other paint. It's a masterpiece! :approve: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Nah...my other painting, Jamie's Cruel Bubble Popped, has a big splash of blue in the middle, and then I blew red on with a straw, creating angry, spider-like lines all over the canvas, and then I got a chimpanzee to throw its choice of orange, yellow, green, purple, and brown onto the canvas. For some reason, it mostly threw brown, and that's in big blobs all over it. Then, I got one of those exploding paint bags from MythBusters, and filled them with purple, which sort of covered most of the other paint. It's a masterpiece! :approve: :biggrin:
That's somewhat like the first idea that hit me. I'm going to paint it (roughly) on Paint.

Okay, here's a quick sketch:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4771/jamiepfhy9.jpg [Broken]

Kurdt said:

All three at once? Lucky bastard! You've definitely improved upon my initial vision...

Wow. I'm really impressed by you guys.

The strange thing is that I posted this thread idea on a forum specifically for artists, and no one would touch it. Three people responded saying the idea made them nervous, and gave them artist's block, which I found to be inexplicable.

Posting it here was an experiment to see if the notion of caption-preceeds-image was something most people will avoid trying, or if it's just a problem for artists. So far, the latter seems to be the case. I thinks that's strange and needs some study to figure out why.

I'm enjoying everyone's creativity a lot and I like the funny ideas as much as the more contemplative and obtuse ones. Pretty much everything that's been suggested would make a very successful image to go with the title.

I'm envisioning an unlucky girl who was cursed with a flat butt. Something went horribly wrong during plastic surgery so now instead of the bubble butt she dreamed of she has a cruel bubble. I can just see it in my minds eye. Poor girl is looking down over her shoulder at a deformed rear with tears streaming down her cheek.

Last edited:
It makes me think of the last exhalation of a drowning person.

0rthodontist said:
It makes me think of the last exhalation of a drowning person.

1. What should be included in the description of a painting?

A description of a painting should include the title, artist, medium, size, and any notable details or techniques used in the painting. It should also provide a general overview of the subject matter and the overall mood or feeling of the painting.

2. How can I effectively describe a painting without using technical terms?

When describing a painting, it is important to use descriptive language that appeals to the senses. Use words that evoke imagery, such as "vibrant colors" or "soft brushstrokes". You can also describe the shapes, lines, and textures present in the painting to give the reader a better understanding of the artwork.

3. What is the best way to organize a description of a painting?

The best way to organize a description of a painting is to start with the general overview and then move to specific details. For example, you can begin by describing the overall composition and subject matter, then focus on the colors and techniques used, and end with any personal interpretations or feelings the painting evokes.

4. How can I accurately describe the colors in a painting?

When describing the colors in a painting, it is important to be specific and use descriptive words that accurately convey the hues and shades present. You can also mention any color symbolism or contrasts used by the artist to enhance the meaning of the painting.

5. Is it important to include my personal interpretation of the painting in the description?

Including your personal interpretation of a painting can be helpful, especially if it adds to the overall understanding or appreciation of the artwork. However, it is important to also provide a factual and objective description of the painting before sharing your own thoughts and opinions.