Describe the set of all compact sets which are supports of continuous functions

In summary, the question asks whether every compact subset of \mathbb{R} is the support of a continuous function and if not, what is the class of compact sets in \mathbb{R} that are supports of continuous functions. The answer to the first question is no, as shown by the example of a singleton and the Cantor set. The second question is still open and the properties of a continuous function and the definition of a support are discussed. It is suggested that a compact set is a support if and only if it is the closure of an open set. The definition of support for a complex function is clarified and the generalization to any topological space is considered. The TeX code for "not equal" is also
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
The question reads: Is it true that every compact subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] is the support of a continuous function? If not, can you describe the class of all compact sets in [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] which are supports of continuous functions? Is your description valid in other topological spaces?

The answer to the first question is no. A singleton is compact but is not the support of any continuous function; the same is true of the Cantor set (for it contains no segment). I am struck on the second question.

A continuous function is (in our text) defined as a function [tex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/tex] for topological spaces X and Y such that [tex]f^{-1}\left( V\right)[/tex] is an open set in X for every open set V in Y.

The support of a function is the closure of the set set of all values at which it is not zero, that is [tex]\overline{\left\{ x:f(x) \mbox{ not }= 0\right\} }[/tex]

So I need to describe

[tex]\left\{ K\subset \mathbb{R}: \exists \mbox{ a continuous function } f \mbox{ such that support}(f)=K\right\} \cap \left\{ K\subset \mathbb{R}:K \mbox{ is compact} \right\}[/tex]

Based on the Cantor set example given as a counter-example to the first question, I'm guessing that connectedness may be involved, but I really don't know. How can I answer this question so that it holds for a general topological space?

Please help.

-Ben

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My gut says that you should look at the complementary condition -- look at where the functions are zero, and see what that says about the support.

As for a general topological space, :cry:. They're too yucky! So, I suspect that whatever you say for the second question, there's a topological space that contains a counterexample. :smile: I would not be surprised if there isn't an easy condition that holds in the general case.

Last edited:
Your definition of "support" says something about f(x) = 0, so how does this problem extend to general topological spaces, i.e. what if f : X -> Y is such that Y does not contain 0? Anyways, let's just deal with f : R -> R for now.

support(f) = closure(f-1(R - {0}))

So it seems we want to know: in what cases is the thing on the right closed and bounded? Well it is always closed, so when is it bounded? It is bounded iff f-1(R-{0}) is bounded. It seems to me that a compact set will be a support iff it is the closure of an open set. The Cantor set is not the closure of an open set, nor is a singleton.

So claim: A compact set is a support iff it is the closure of an open set.

Proof, if it is not the closure of an open set, then it is not, in particular, the closure of f-1(R-0) which is an open set since f is continuous and R-0 is open in R, and thus it is not the support of f. Conversely, if it is the closure of a bounded open set, U, then can we define a continuous function f which is non-zero on U and zero elsewhere? If so, then certainly it is a support.

The answer to the bold question certainly seems plausible. An open set is a union of open intervals (since the open intervals form a basis). We can choose to consider U as a union of disjoint open intervals. We can define functions on these disjoint intervals which are non-zero on them, and zero outside of them, and then choose our f to be the sum of all these functions. So our problem reduces to finding continuous functions on a single open interval that is non-zero on the interval and vanishes identically outside the interval. Not only can we do this, but we can find Cinfinity functions that do this. The construction of such a function involves a bunch of exponential functions. You can generalize from the following example for the interval (-1,1):

[tex]f(x) = \exp \left[-(x-1)^{-2}\right ]\exp \left [-(x+1)^{-2}\right ]\ \mbox{for}\ x \in (-1,1),\ \ f(x) = 0\ \mbox{otherwise}[/tex]

Clairification on definition of support of a function

The support of a complex function [tex]f:X\rightarrow\mathbb{C}[/tex] on a topological space X is the closure of the set [parenthetical question: Hey, what's TeX for "not equal" ?]: [itex]\left\{ x:f(x) \mbox{ not }= 0\right\}[/itex].

My bad, I had generalized from [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex] to any topological space Y in a previous post: that is no generalization at all. It doesn't even make sense :yuck: .

The generalization referred to in the question is that of answering the prior question for [tex]f:X\rightarrow\mathbb{C}[/tex] in stead of for [tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{C}[/tex].

Last edited:
The TeX for not equal is "\neq" which can be seen here

[tex]1 \neq 0[/tex]

[itex]\neq[/itex] isn't in the LaTeX code reference PDF oft linked to. shame.

the discussion seems to suggest looking at the interior of the sets considered.

1. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a topological space that is closed and bounded. It is a generalization of the concept of a closed interval on the real number line.

2. What is the support of a continuous function?

The support of a continuous function is the closure of the set of points where the function is non-zero. In other words, it is the set of points where the function is defined and has a non-zero value.

3. How are compact sets related to continuous functions?

Compact sets can serve as the support of continuous functions. This means that the function is non-zero only on the compact set and is equal to zero outside of the set.

4. Can a non-compact set be the support of a continuous function?

Yes, it is possible for a non-compact set to be the support of a continuous function. However, the function must still have a closed and bounded support, even if the set itself is not compact.

5. What is the significance of compact sets as supports of continuous functions?

Compact sets as supports of continuous functions have important applications in analysis and topology. They allow for the study of continuous functions on a restricted set of points, making it easier to analyze and prove properties of the function.