Describe the world in the year 3000

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, in the year 3000, due to advancements in technology, life extension, population control, virtual sex, and a world republic of government will likely exist. Humans will have interfaces implanted and may become more artificial than biological. The world will be controlled by a consciousness known as The Big Kahuna, and technology such as time machines and space elevators will be available. However, in the year 3000, humanity may also face challenges such as a lack of jobs due to artificial intelligence and potential conflicts over resources.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What do you imagine the world will be like - due to technology - in a thousand years? I thought this may an interesting technology discussion. [?]

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hee hee. I had to think about this myself. Here are some of my guesses.

Biology:
I will guess that life extension to 400 years will be achieved.

Population control will be absolute

Sex is virtual and only for fun…too risky for real reproduction.

Human interfaces are plagued with artificial viruses due to early sabotage and competition between OEMs like Ford and Microsoft.

Artificial Viruses mutate to a form viable in biologicals in 2230

The Bio to Artificial transmission of disease quickly follows

Year 2350: Quantum inoculations rid the world of all disease

Problems such as starvation and extreme poverty are gone

Communications:
A world republic of governments evolves from the corporate-government mergers of the 2100s.

All babies are implanted with or are genetically programmed with a variety of interface modes: this includes person to person, person to community, and person to International and Interplanetary Net interfaces.

Some humans are more artificial than biological.

All devices and environments are controlled by simple will through the Artificial Environmental Interface [AEI]

A consciousness emerges from the neural-network of all people and things [which refers to itself as The Big Kahuna, or simply The BK] that consumes our minds without us ever knowing. We have taken the next step in evolution. Each baby born is but a new node on The BK network. The BK directs its own evolution which progresses at an exponentially increasing rate…

A time machine is built and tested. The southwestern United States is a complete loss.

Space elevators are free to use.

Space Warp technology exists but nothing can survive the trip. This does lead to an interesting type of fax machine though. Teenagers love sending mice though these things.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited:
Year 3,000:
We are the borg. Resistence is futile.

In 3000 year

You should have watched the discovery on sunday @ ~6:00 PM saying Earth in 5 million years but the show was about animal evolution. I would say the following: No more cars...Car's fly in AIR. No more Gasoline, 100% fuel cell. No NUclear powerplants but High effeciant steam plants. Each computer processor around 50 Tz (tera hertz) hard drive around 2000 terabytes. Beyond human dream. PLanes traveling 100 Mach in a super quiet environment...COOL!

Last edited:
I'm wondering what would be the average temperature on Earth in 3000?

In 3000, nano technology would be involved in every aspect in daily life, like communication (you just need to mumble to yourself when you talk to your friends overseas, no need to use telephones/cell phones) and medical advancement.

We dont' need to sit in front of our comuters to get on PF, all we need to do is to mumble "internet, PF", then a virtual screen will pop up and only the commander can see the screen.

We have flying chairs everywhere, which are controlled by our brains. There are devices in the chairs to avoid any collision. By that time, our legs are too week to walk.

Last edited:
In the year 3000,
In the year 3000...

"A black man will be elected President of the United States. I'm sorry, that's in the year 10,000."

eNtRopY

Originally posted by eNtRopY
In the year 3000,
In the year 3000...

"A black man will be elected President of the United States. I'm sorry, that's in the year 10,000."

eNtRopY

Good one!

All I can say for sure, is in the year 3000, nothing we have now will be existent then. Not a thing.

i just hope humanity's still around!

Originally posted by RSM1000
Good one!

All I can say for sure, is in the year 3000, nothing we have now will be existent then. Not a thing.

Hey, by then we can probably have a president in any color we want! My vote is for the purple guy.

All your base are belong to us!

eNtRopY said:
In the year 3000,
In the year 3000...

eNtRopY

hahhahahah how do you feel now?

And flying cars will still be http://graphjam.com/2009/06/26/song-chart-memes-the-future/" [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe our biological systems will be attached to an Operating System for them to work better and more coordinated ?

Years 2100 - 2300

Series of natural disasters combined with over population causes thousands of global conflicts in vain attempts at securing food and resources. Conflicts escalate to epic proportions and humanity effectively wipes itself out, leaving behind a total global population of less than 100 000 and most of the planet turned to wasteland.

Years 2300 - 2800

Daily life is a battle for survival, humanity relies mostly on insects and rodents as sources of protein, sparse plant life is just enough to get by on and clean water a luxury. The pockets of humanity still existing on Earth are widely scattered with no means of communication and random discoveries of texts and "artefacts" assists humanity in their bid for survival.

Year 3000

A fluke discovery of a massive undamaged library in what used to be Poland leads to major leaps in technology and the region flourishes, laying the foundations for the establishment of a New World.

Once cheap readily available artificial general intelligence appears, sometime around 2050, humans will not be able to find any jobs because robots can always do the work more cheaply and effectively. For a while people might manage a welfare state where nobody does any work, but inevitably the AI will tire of our drain on the world's natural resources and decide the cost of eliminating us is less than the cost of supporting us. We won't stand a chance.

I'm sure it will look like this:

no cars- a rail commuter system to take us from our house to where we wish...
personal robots that will perform tasks for the benefit of human society
within the next 50 years- obesity rates at near 60% due to there being no need for personal locomotion
after the next 50 years- # of obese people with actual fat on them ~0% as we will develop genes to break down fat instantaneously
designer babies
cancer will be the new common cold
many many other things...

drag said:
Year 3,000:
We are the borg. Resistence is futile.

The assimilation process has already started - it's being done slowly so that there will be no resistance.

Last edited:
In movies, the future always seems like 1 of 2 ways. The first way is a future where the world is a utopian society and we all get along with technology and so forth.

The second way is a future where ya, we have real cool computers and technology is everywhere, but the basic problems that face us today are still around. Some people still don't like other people and people still have everyday problems.

Im going to go with the second outcome. Sure we'll probably have some sort of unlimited energy source and space travel will be common place, but there will still be countries and rebellions and wars. I doubt this will ever stop, it hasnt yet for the last 5000 years, and even though technology is great, I don't think it will solve these fundamanetal problems. The only way everyone in the world would be happy at the same time is if we were all plugged into a virtual world and could pick how we want "our" world to be like. Basically like the matrix but each person has their own.

I think the world will pretty much be the same fundamentally, but with a whole lot cooler ****.

As an optimist, I hope we've mastered biology and cell replacement/repair. It would also be terrific to mentally interface with computers. It's probably also a safe assumption that advances will be made in the areas of energy, food production, and of course space travel.

However, we should also contemplate the possibility of a civilization that more resembles 1,000 BC. Would anyone care to calculate the odds of a caldero explosion, asteroid, ice age, pandemic, or any other cataclysmic event happening over the next 991 years?

In a thousand years, people will bemoan the lack of flying cars because they have been "right around the corner" for over a thousand years.

as machines have taken on a larger share of traditionally human intellectual endeavors, people will experience a time of surplus and indulgence. In the face of lack of purpose and such huge intellectual adversaries, mankind will begin exploring in much greater detail the definition of humanity. Men and women will invest a great deal of time trying to understand what a soul is, for example, simply because they'll believe the smarter machines can not have one. Additionally, a great deal of attention and effort will be placed on exploring extrasensory perception and trying to unmask the mysterious coincidences and deja vu experiences that some have placed in the category of ESP. Mankind will become increasingly obsessed, and therefore, tuned to the qualities that make them distinct from machines. There will be a revolution in spiritualism and supernatural communication.

At this rate, i don't know if we'll even make it to the year 3000.

Humankind as we know it will cease to exist by the year 3000 (in fact, I'd give a 50:50 chance of that happening by 2100). It will be replaced by a single incredibly powerful distributed computer wrapping Earth, containing all the knowledge of humanity and all memories of all humans who choose to join. The ones who refuse will be granted eternal youth and given a choice between taking a spaceship to a distant star, where they can try to start a new civilization, and taking a doorway to a parallel prehistoric Earth, where they would essentially be gods.

Long before this happens, advances in brain-computer interfacing, memory backup, memory cloning, will make us completely rethink our naive concepts of life, identity, and place in the universe.

And you know the fun part? Many of us will still be there to see this. In fact, some people who died will be there too. Ted Williams will be there, for example. Of course, "being there" won't amount to much more than having one's memories as part of the big computer. Human bodies will be discarded, boundaries between individual mind-streams will fall, and, aside from these three parts, there isn't really much left.

There are two alternatives. One is that we manage to kill ourselves, or at least knock ourselves 3000 years back. Was it Einstein who said that the fourth world war is going to be fought with sticks and stones?

The other is that there is a parallel universe whose properties are in some way preferable to this one and that's where all sentient civilizations retire. We'll all go there and join countless alien civilizations that walked this path before us.

Last edited:
hamster143 said:
It will be replaced by a single incredibly powerful distributed computer wrapping Earth

This seems so incredibly obvious, yet so incredibly insane at the same time. Most people only see the insane part, so this makes the idea largely unfit for discussion, inevitable though it may be.

Computational mass has been increasing exponentially, though slower than computational power, and our demand for computational power has been growing faster than computational power itself. There is no point in our future that I can see when we will collectively say "we have enough processing power, let's stop manufacturing more". We will keep expanding computational mass until no further expansion is possible.

It's a matter of when not if. Once computers reach their miniaturization limit, outward expansion rate will increase dramatically. Of course once we have enough processing power to overcome the requirement of biological sustenance, all such things as trees and the whole of biological nature become subject to being converted into processors, or at least eliminated to make room for them.

The whole transition is going to be very interesting, I look forward to it, however I dare not speak of such a thing until it becomes self evident.

I'm not sure about parallel Earth's and the like. If you mean physical time/multiverse travel, I cannot assume this to be possible. Parallel Earth's could be reconstructed virtually, but I doubt the establishment will allow you to subject billions of humanoid creatures for your personal amusement.

I'm not sure about parallel Earth's and the like. If you mean physical time/multiverse travel, I cannot assume this to be possible. Parallel Earth's could be reconstructed virtually, but I doubt the establishment will allow you to subject billions of humanoid creatures for your personal amusement.

You're making three assumptions: one, that there's still establishment (in my opinion, it'll be replaced by an unknowable hive mind), two, that its moral principles disapprove of creating parallel universes, physical or virtual, in order to subject their residents to one's personal amusement, three, that parallel universe travel is either unavailable or a controlled technology. Ultimately, the mega-computer would play a role of "big brother" that prevents everyone who's not "hooked up" from doing everything it disapproves of, but that would be a late stage of development. And it could limit its big brother functions to self-defense - for example, preventing non-hooked-up people from building nukes.

In any event, space exploration should be a viable path for those who do not wish to hook up.

I think at that time there will me many changes for the world

there will be no more cars or planes

The movement of people will be by fax

there will be fax cabine to travel from city to other

With any luck, single folks with companion animals will be able to claim the "Head of the Household" deduction on their IRS return and furthermore, the NHL will be the number one sport in the solar system.

I apologize for the humor (yeah, that was meant to be humorous). I can't fathom a thousand years out.

Pshh...only 3000? In 2257 Earth will make first contact with the Minbari nearly leading to the destruction of human kind until a minbari prophecy is fulfilled by a human. After fighting a war against and eventually driving away highly evolved energy beings. 500 years later there will be a disaster and Earth will be destroyed. After five hundred more years interstellar flight and jump gate technology will be rediscovered. After one million years this will happen:

I know it's true cause I saw it on T.V.

In the year 3000 the Earth will be generally green and verdant, there will be little or no pollution herds of wild beasts will roam the African plains the oceans will be filled with the sound of whale song. Either mankind will have wiped themselves out, or they will have become so advanced that all technology will be clean (or performed off planet) and so dispersed through the Solar system that they can leave their home as a vast parkland.

1. What will the population be like in the year 3000?

The population in the year 3000 is difficult to predict as it will depend on various factors such as advancements in technology, availability of resources, and potential natural disasters. However, it is expected that the population will continue to grow, potentially reaching over 10 billion people.

2. Will there be any major changes to the Earth's climate in the year 3000?

It is difficult to predict the exact changes to the Earth's climate in the year 3000. However, it is expected that there will be some changes due to the continued impact of human activities on the environment. It is important for us to take action now to mitigate these potential changes.

3. How advanced will technology be in the year 3000?

It is impossible to accurately predict the level of technological advancement in the year 3000. However, based on the current rate of technological progress, it is safe to assume that there will be significant advancements in various fields such as medicine, transportation, and communication.

4. Will there still be wars and conflicts in the year 3000?

It is difficult to say whether wars and conflicts will still exist in the year 3000. It largely depends on the actions and decisions made by individuals and governments in the present. However, it is important for us to work towards creating a more peaceful and cooperative world for future generations.

5. How will the world be powered in the year 3000?

It is likely that the world will be powered by a combination of renewable energy sources in the year 3000. With advancements in technology, it is expected that renewable energy will become more efficient and accessible, making it the primary source of energy for the world.