Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describe the world in the year 3000

1. May 26, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you imagine the world will be like - due to technology - in a thousand years? I thought this may an interesting technology discussion. [?]

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hee hee. I had to think about this myself. Here are some of my guesses.

Biology:
    I will guess that life extension to 400 years will be achieved.

Population control will be absolute

Sex is virtual and only for fun…too risky for real reproduction.

Human interfaces are plagued with artificial viruses due to early sabotage and competition between OEMs like Ford and Microsoft.

Artificial Viruses mutate to a form viable in biologicals in 2230

The Bio to Artificial transmission of disease quickly follows

Year 2350: Quantum inoculations rid the world of all disease

Problems such as starvation and extreme poverty are gone

Communications:
    A world republic of governments evolves from the corporate-government mergers of the 2100s.

All babies are implanted with or are genetically programmed with a variety of interface modes: this includes person to person, person to community, and person to International and Interplanetary Net interfaces.

Some humans are more artificial than biological.

All devices and environments are controlled by simple will through the Artificial Environmental Interface [AEI]

A consciousness emerges from the neural-network of all people and things [which refers to itself as The Big Kahuna, or simply The BK] that consumes our minds without us ever knowing. We have taken the next step in evolution. Each baby born is but a new node on The BK network. The BK directs its own evolution which progresses at an exponentially increasing rate…

A time machine is built and tested. The southwestern United States is a complete loss.

Space elevators are free to use.

Space Warp technology exists but nothing can survive the trip. This does lead to an interesting type of fax machine though. Teenagers love sending mice though these things.

Just a few thoughts.

Last edited: May 27, 2003
  4. May 27, 2003 #3

drag

Science Advisor

Year 3,000:
    We are the borg. Resistence is futile.

5. May 27, 2003 #4
    In 3000 year

You should have watched the discovery on sunday @ ~6:00 PM saying earth in 5 million years but the show was about animal evolution. I would say the following: No more cars...Car's fly in AIR. No more Gasoline, 100% fuel cell. No NUclear powerplants but High effeciant steam plants. Each computer processor around 50 Tz (tera hertz) hard drive around 2000 terabytes. Beyond human dream. PLanes travelling 100 Mach in a super quiet environment...COOL!

6. May 27, 2003 #5
    I'm wondering what would be the average temperature on earth in 3000?

In 3000, nano technology would be involved in every aspect in daily life, like communication (you just need to mumble to yourself when you talk to your friends overseas, no need to use telephones/cell phones) and medical advancement.

We dont' need to sit in front of our comuters to get on PF, all we need to do is to mumble "internet, PF", then a virtual screen will pop up and only the commander can see the screen.

We have flying chairs everywhere, which are controlled by our brains. There are devices in the chairs to avoid any collision. By that time, our legs are too week to walk.

7. May 27, 2003 #6
    In the year 3000,
    In the year 3000....

"A black man will be elected President of the United States. I'm sorry, that's in the year 10,000."

eNtRopY

8. May 27, 2003 #7
    Good one!

All I can say for sure, is in the year 3000, nothing we have now will be existant then. Not a thing.

9. May 29, 2003 #8
    i just hope humanity's still around!

10. May 30, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, by then we can probably have a president in any color we want! My vote is for the purple guy.

11. May 30, 2003 #10
    All your base are belong to us!

12. Jul 24, 2009 #11

hahhahahah how do you feel now?

13. Jul 24, 2009 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

14. Jul 27, 2009 #13
    Maybe our biological systems will be attached to an Operating System for them to work better and more coordinated ?

15. Jul 28, 2009 #14
    Years 2100 - 2300

Series of natural disasters combined with over population causes thousands of global conflicts in vain attempts at securing food and resources. Conflicts escalate to epic proportions and humanity effectively wipes itself out, leaving behind a total global population of less than 100 000 and most of the planet turned to wasteland.

Years 2300 - 2800

Daily life is a battle for survival, humanity relies mostly on insects and rodents as sources of protein, sparse plant life is just enough to get by on and clean water a luxury. The pockets of humanity still existing on Earth are widely scattered with no means of communication and random discoveries of texts and "artefacts" assists humanity in their bid for survival.

Year 3000

A fluke discovery of a massive undamaged library in what used to be Poland leads to major leaps in technology and the region flourishes, laying the foundations for the establishment of a New World.

16. Jul 28, 2009 #15
    Once cheap readily available artificial general intelligence appears, sometime around 2050, humans will not be able to find any jobs because robots can always do the work more cheaply and effectively. For a while people might manage a welfare state where nobody does any work, but inevitably the AI will tire of our drain on the world's natural resources and decide the cost of eliminating us is less than the cost of supporting us. We won't stand a chance.

17. Jul 28, 2009 #16
    I'm sure it will look like this:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Jul 28, 2009 #17
    no cars- a rail commuter system to take us from our house to where we wish...
    personal robots that will perform tasks for the benefit of human society
    within the next 50 years- obesity rates at near 60% due to there being no need for personal locomotion
    after the next 50 years- # of obese people with actual fat on them ~0% as we will develop genes to break down fat instantaneously
    designer babies
    cancer will be the new common cold
    many many other things...

19. Jul 29, 2009 #18

Borg

Gold Member
    2015 Award

The assimilation process has already started - it's being done slowly so that there will be no resistance.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  20. Oct 25, 2009 #19
    In movies, the future always seems like 1 of 2 ways. The first way is a future where the world is a utopian society and we all get along with technology and so forth.

The second way is a future where ya, we have real cool computers and technology is everywhere, but the basic problems that face us today are still around. Some people still dont like other people and people still have everyday problems.

Im going to go with the second outcome. Sure we'll probably have some sort of unlimited energy source and space travel will be common place, but there will still be countries and rebellions and wars. I doubt this will ever stop, it hasnt yet for the last 5000 years, and even though technology is great, I dont think it will solve these fundamanetal problems. The only way everyone in the world would be happy at the same time is if we were all plugged into a virtual world and could pick how we want "our" world to be like. Basically like the matrix but each person has their own.

I think the world will pretty much be the same fundamentally, but with a whole lot cooler ****.

21. Oct 25, 2009 #20
    As an optimist, I hope we've mastered biology and cell replacement/repair. It would also be terrific to mentally interface with computers. It's probably also a safe assumption that advances will be made in the areas of energy, food production, and of course space travel.

However, we should also contemplate the possibility of a civilization that more resembles 1,000 BC. Would anyone care to calculate the odds of a caldero explosion, asteroid, ice age, pandemic, or any other cataclysmic event happening over the next 991 years?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?