1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describe this region of R3

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Describe in words the region of R3 represented by the inequality x^2 + z^2 <= 9

2. Relevant equations
    Equation of a sphere= (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 + (z-l)^2 = r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since there is no y value in the given inequality, I stated that it would be points in or on a circle on the xz-plane with center at the origin, and the radius is 3 with respect to the xy-plane.

However, my book says this inequality describes a cylinder of radius 3 with y-axis. Can someone explain this to me please? How can it be a cylinder? And why is the radius with the y-axis and not with the xy-plane?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The intersection of the set with the x-z plane is a disk, right? Since y does not appear in the inequality, y can be anything as long as the x-z coordinates are in the disk. This is the same as saying the it's the union of all lines passing through the x-z disk parallel to the y axis. Isn't that an infinite cylinder?

4. Mar 29, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HI fk378!

You're right … the radius is not with the y-axis. :smile:

But … you're misreading the book. :frown:

The cylinder has radius 3, and the axis of the cylinder (the infinite line which runs exactly through the centre of the cylinder) is the y-axis. :smile:

5. Mar 29, 2008 #4
    So if a variable is not given bounds in the inequality then it means that it can take on any value? It doesn't have to be y=0 always?

6. Mar 29, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

y can be anything and the inequality is still satisfied.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?