Describe what color is or the basic concept of color

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of describing color to a person who has been blind since birth. One suggestion was to introduce color through music, specifically the song "Lateralus" by Tool. Another idea was to use the sense of warmth to explain color. However, it was noted that a totally blind person would not be able to detect any difference in light due to non-functional nerves behind the retina. The general consensus was that it may not be possible to fully describe color to a blind person, but it is possible to give technical definitions and explanations of it.
positron98
Is there a way to describe what color is or the basic concept of color to a person who has been blind since birth?

If so, how?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
try playing Lateralus by Tool to the person in question

Heres something I've always wanted to know. When people who are not blind close their eyes you can still tell the difference between whether the lights in the room are on or off. So if you were to put a blind person in a very dark room and then shine a very bright light into their eyes would they be able to tell any difference?

So using that as one point to go from if they can this is a good way to introduce color to them I think. If not I think that perhaps warmth would be a good way to do it.

I don't think a totally blind person can make such a detection climbhi, since the nerves behind the retina would be non-functional.

Originally posted by positron98
I don't think a totally blind person can make such a detection climbhi, since the nerves behind the retina would be non-functional.

You are correct. When we close our eyes, we are really just closing our eye-lids over our eyes (obviously) and they aren't thick enough to block out alllight.

BTW, Welcome to the PFs positron98 :smile:

As far as your original question goes, I think that there is very little need to describe color to a blind person. They don't really have any use of it. If I were to attempt this, I'd probably just give technical definitions of color, as opposed to actually describing it. This may not be good enough for a blind person who wants to experience color (which they won't be able to do anyway), but it will be enough to let that person understand the physics behind color.

I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't much point in trying to describe color to a blind person, because it probably isn't possible. However, it is possible to describe color in the technical sense, and as it is used in understanding Physics, and this could to the person.

What is color?

Color is a visual perception that is created by the way objects reflect or emit light. It is the result of different wavelengths of light being received by our eyes and interpreted by our brain.

What are the primary colors?

The primary colors are red, blue, and yellow. These colors cannot be created by mixing other colors, but they can be combined to make all the other colors in the visible spectrum.

What is the difference between additive and subtractive color mixing?

Additive color mixing involves combining colored lights to create new colors, while subtractive color mixing involves combining colored pigments or dyes to create new colors. Additive mixing is used in devices like televisions and computer screens, while subtractive mixing is used in mediums like paint and printing.

What is the color wheel?

The color wheel is a visual representation of the relationships between different colors. It is typically divided into primary, secondary, and tertiary colors and can be used to help understand color harmonies and combinations.

Why do we see different colors?

We see different colors because of the way our eyes perceive and interpret different wavelengths of light. The cones in our eyes are sensitive to red, green, and blue light, and our brain combines these signals to create the full range of colors that we see.