Describing behavior on each side of a vertical asymptote

In summary, the vertical asymptotes of the graph of F(x) = (3 - x) / (x^2 - 16) are x = 4 and x = -4. The behavior of f(x) as it approaches these asymptotes is as follows: f(x) approaches +inf as it approaches x = -4 from the left, f(x) approaches -inf as it approaches x = -4 from the right, f(x) approaches +inf as it approaches x = 4 from the left, and f(x) approaches -inf as it approaches x = 4 from the right. This can be determined using limits.
Jacobpm64
Find the vertical asymptotes of the graph of F(x) = (3 - x) / (x^2 - 16)

ok if i factor the denominator.. i find the vertical asymptotes to be x = 4, x = -4.

The 2nd part of the problem asks:
Describe the behavior of f(x) to the left and right of each vertical asymptote.. I'm not sure what i need to write for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's asking for what happens as the function appraches the asymptotes from the left and the right, does it go to infinity - what?

You can use limits to find out.

ahh thanks.. so...

f(x) approaches +inf as it approaches x = -4 from the left...
f(x) approaches -inf as it approaches x = -4 from the right...
f(x) approaches +inf as it approaches x = 4 from the left...
f(x) approaches -inf as it approaches x = 4 from the right...

correct?

Correct. :smile:

What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line on a graph that represents a value where the function approaches but never touches. It can also be thought of as a boundary or limit for the function.

What does it mean for a function to have a vertical asymptote?

If a function has a vertical asymptote, it means that the function is undefined at that particular value. This can happen when the denominator of a rational function becomes zero.

How do you describe behavior on each side of a vertical asymptote?

The behavior on each side of a vertical asymptote can be described using limit notation. For example, if the asymptote is located at x=a, the limit of the function as x approaches a from the left side would be written as lim x→a- f(x) and the limit from the right side would be written as lim x→a+ f(x).

What are the different types of behavior on each side of a vertical asymptote?

There are three types of behavior that can occur on each side of a vertical asymptote: approaching from above, approaching from below, and approaching from opposite directions. The type of behavior depends on the slope and the concavity of the function.

How can I use the behavior on each side of a vertical asymptote to analyze a function?

By understanding the behavior on each side of a vertical asymptote, we can determine the end behavior of a function and identify any discontinuities. This can help us graph the function accurately and make predictions about its behavior. It is also useful for finding limits of the function.