1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Describing Singularities

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2cxamo.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

Both [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\cos(z)-1}{z^2}[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sinh(z)}{z^2}[/itex] have 1 singular point at [itex]z=0[/itex].

For (a):

z=0 is a removable singularity since defining f(0)=1 makes it analytic at all [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex].

z=0 is isolated since f(z) is analytic for 0<|z|<1. But z=0 is not a pole since cos(0)-1 =0, and so z=0 is an essential singularity.

For (b):

z=0 is a removable singularity since defining f(0)=1 makes it analytic at all [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex].

z=0 is isolated since f(z) is analytic for 0<|z|<1. But z=0 is not a pole since sinh(0)=0, and so z=0 is an essential singularity.

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Parts of it might be true. You said basically the same thing about both functions and you didn't prove anything you said. Give some arguments. If f(z)=sinh(z)/z^2, why does defining f(0)=1 make it analytic on C?

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Probably because I'm not understanding the definitions correctly!

These are my set of definitions:
    1zfn5kz.jpg

I think for both (a) and (b), z=0 is an isolated singularity but not a pole, so an essential singularity. But they probably aren't removable.

5. Jan 21, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The definitions will be clearer to you if you look at a power series expansion of each function around z=0.

6. Jan 21, 2012 #5
    I don't like how some of these definitions are given so if I use this definition of pole:

11c8nlc.jpg

Clearly [itex]z_0=0[/itex] is an isolated singularity since it is the only singularity for both (a) and (b).

(a) [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{z\to 0} \;(z-0)^N f(z) = \lim_{z\to 0} \; z^{N-2} (\cos(z)-1) = 0 \;\; \forall \;N>0[/itex] so [itex]z_0=0[/itex] is not a pole. Hence it is an essential singularity.

(b) If N=1 then [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{z\to 0} \;(z-0) f(z) = \lim_{z\to 0} \frac{\sinh(z)}{z} = 1 \neq 0[/itex] so [itex]z_0=0[/tex] is a simple pole (of order 1). What would be the strength of the pole? It is not an essential singularity.

I'm not understanding how to see if 0 is a removable singularity in each case?

7. Jan 21, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know how to expand cos(z) and sinh(z) in a power series around z=0. Put those expansions into the two functions and simplify. See what you think. Then look back at the definitions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook