Singularities and Analyticity at z=0

In summary: You know how to expand cos(z) and sinh(z) in a power series around z=0. Put those expansions into the two functions and simplify. See what you think. Then look back at the definitions.
Ted123

Homework Statement

2cxamo.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Both [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\cos(z)-1}{z^2}[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\sinh(z)}{z^2}[/itex] have 1 singular point at [itex]z=0[/itex].

For (a):

z=0 is a removable singularity since defining f(0)=1 makes it analytic at all [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex].

z=0 is isolated since f(z) is analytic for 0<|z|<1. But z=0 is not a pole since cos(0)-1 =0, and so z=0 is an essential singularity.

For (b):

z=0 is a removable singularity since defining f(0)=1 makes it analytic at all [itex]z\in\mathbb{C}[/itex].

z=0 is isolated since f(z) is analytic for 0<|z|<1. But z=0 is not a pole since sinh(0)=0, and so z=0 is an essential singularity.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Parts of it might be true. You said basically the same thing about both functions and you didn't prove anything you said. Give some arguments. If f(z)=sinh(z)/z^2, why does defining f(0)=1 make it analytic on C?

Dick said:
Parts of it might be true. You said basically the same thing about both functions and you didn't prove anything you said. Give some arguments. If f(z)=sinh(z)/z^2, why does defining f(0)=1 make it analytic on C?

Probably because I'm not understanding the definitions correctly!

These are my set of definitions:
1zfn5kz.jpg

I think for both (a) and (b), z=0 is an isolated singularity but not a pole, so an essential singularity. But they probably aren't removable.

Ted123 said:
Probably because I'm not understanding the definitions correctly!

I think for both (a) and (b), z=0 is an isolated singularity but not a pole, so an essential singularity. But they probably aren't removable.

The definitions will be clearer to you if you look at a power series expansion of each function around z=0.

Dick said:
The definitions will be clearer to you if you look at a power series expansion of each function around z=0.

I don't like how some of these definitions are given so if I use this definition of pole:

11c8nlc.jpg

Clearly [itex]z_0=0[/itex] is an isolated singularity since it is the only singularity for both (a) and (b).

(a) [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{z\to 0} \;(z-0)^N f(z) = \lim_{z\to 0} \; z^{N-2} (\cos(z)-1) = 0 \;\; \forall \;N>0[/itex] so [itex]z_0=0[/itex] is not a pole. Hence it is an essential singularity.

(b) If N=1 then [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{z\to 0} \;(z-0) f(z) = \lim_{z\to 0} \frac{\sinh(z)}{z} = 1 \neq 0[/itex] so [itex]z_0=0[/tex] is a simple pole (of order 1). What would be the strength of the pole? It is not an essential singularity.

I'm not understanding how to see if 0 is a removable singularity in each case?

Ted123 said:
I don't like how some of these definitions are given so if I use this definition of pole:

11c8nlc.jpg

Clearly [itex]z_0=0[/itex] is an isolated singularity since it is the only singularity for both (a) and (b).

(a) [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{z\to 0} \;(z-0)^N f(z) = \lim_{z\to 0} \; z^{N-2} (\cos(z)-1) = 0 \;\; \forall \;N>0[/itex] so [itex]z_0=0[/itex] is not a pole. Hence it is an essential singularity.

(b) If N=1 then [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{z\to 0} \;(z-0) f(z) = \lim_{z\to 0} \frac{\sinh(z)}{z} = 1 \neq 0[/itex] so [itex]z_0=0[/tex] is a simple pole (of order 1). What would be the strength of the pole? It is not an essential singularity.

I'm not understanding how to see if 0 is a removable singularity in each case?

You know how to expand cos(z) and sinh(z) in a power series around z=0. Put those expansions into the two functions and simplify. See what you think. Then look back at the definitions.

1. What is a singularity in physics?

A singularity in physics refers to a point in space and time where the laws of physics break down and cannot be accurately predicted or explained. It is often associated with extreme conditions like infinite density or temperature.

2. How do singularities form?

Singularities can form through various processes, such as gravitational collapse, where the mass of an object becomes so concentrated that it warps the fabric of space-time, or during the Big Bang, where the entire universe is thought to have been a singularity with infinite density and temperature.

3. Are singularities real?

While we have observed evidence of singularities in the universe, they are currently considered theoretical constructs and not fully understood. Some scientists believe that singularities may be a result of limitations in our current understanding of physics and may not actually exist in the physical world.

4. Can we travel through a singularity?

It is currently not possible to travel through a singularity, as our current understanding of physics breaks down at these extreme conditions. Additionally, the intense gravitational pull of a singularity would likely destroy anything that attempted to pass through it.

5. What is the significance of singularities in our understanding of the universe?

Singularities play a crucial role in some theories, such as the theory of general relativity, which uses singularities to explain the behavior of black holes. Studying singularities can also help us gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the origins of the universe.