What is the relationship between angular speed and curl in different systems?

• Thread starter Gonzolo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of curl and its measurement in a fluid. It is mentioned that curl is a rotation of a vector field and its direction is determined by the axis of rotation and the magnitude is the magnitude of rotation. The conversation also explores the three possible scenarios in which curl can occur and the question of which scenario would have the greatest curl.
Gonzolo
Hi, I'm looking for a clear descripion of what a curl is. From what I understand, the curl of a point in flowing water can conceptually be measured by placing the center of a paddle-wheel at the point. The vector direction is then given by the rotation axis when it spins the fastest and orientation by the right-hand rule. Is the value given by the angular speed of the wheel or twice the angular speed or neither, and why?

In the three following systems, which seem to me to be 3 possibilities of a similar case, which has the greatest curl? :

-Water flow in a bowl when I make circles with my finger at the edge of the bowl. (angular speed greater with greater radius)

-A rotating LP (angular speed constant with radius)

-Water flow in a bowl when I make circles with a rod at the center (angular speed smaller with geater radius).

Thanks.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Curl is a rotation of a vector field, which is again a vector field, so it is curl at a certain point not of a point and the neighborhood of this point cannot be neglected. I think there can be not much added to what Wikipedia says:
The direction of the curl is the axis of rotation, as determined by the right-hand rule, and the magnitude of the curl is the magnitude of rotation.
So curl is a rotation of a fluid mathematically described.

1. What is a curl?

A curl is a mathematical vector operation that describes the rotation of a vector field in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a curl different from a gradient?

A curl describes the rotation of a vector field, while a gradient describes the change in magnitude of a scalar field in a particular direction.

3. What is the physical significance of a curl?

The physical significance of a curl is that it represents the amount of angular momentum per unit volume of a fluid or electromagnetic field.

4. How is a curl calculated?

A curl is calculated by taking the cross product of the gradient with a given vector field. This can be represented by a mathematical formula known as the curl operator.

5. In what fields is the concept of a curl most commonly used?

The concept of a curl is most commonly used in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and vector calculus in mathematics.