1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Description of a wave

Tags:
  1. Sep 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple harmonic wave train of amplitude 3 cm and frequency 200 Hz travels in the +ve direction of x-axis with a velocity of 20 m/s. Calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a particle situated at 50 cm from the origin at t = 2 s.

2. Relevant equations
    I used [itex]y(x, t) = Acos(2\pi f(\frac{x}{v}-t))[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Plugging in the values into the above equation, I got [itex]y(0.5, 2) = 0.03cos(400\pi (\frac{.5}{20} - 2))[/itex], which evaluates to 0.0236 m. However, the book says the answer is 0.02523 m.

This is marked as an easy question and is one of the first ones, so I think that I'm missing something basic?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to be a bit careful evaluating trig functions of large angles. The series expansions used by calculators get rather inaccurate. Instead, first reduce the angle to something less than 2 pi. I think you'll find both your answer and the given answer rather inaccurate!

4. Sep 4, 2015 #3
    Part of my confusion lies in whether I should be in radians or degrees - the examples in the book all use radians, but when I evaluated the above, I got [itex]cos(-790\pi)[/itex], or 1. Changing the angle to something less than 2[itex]\pi[/itex] still gets me 1.

When I use degrees, I get 0.0236, which is closer to 0.02523. I plugged the expression into Wolfram-Alpha, which got me the same as the one on my calculator. Changing the angle to something less than 360 degrees got me 0.0271.

5. Sep 4, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Definitely radians. The standard equation you quoted assumes radians.
    It gives you 1 for the value of the cos function, but you still have to multiply by A.

6. Sep 5, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got the same answer as you.
    BTW the problem should state that the wave is inded ~ cos(kx - wt) and not something like cos(kx - wt + φ), φ ≠ 0.
    Always assume radians. And always assume natural instead of base-10 logs. Calculus falls apart otherwise!

7. Sep 5, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Then you must be using a calculator that truncates the precision of pi at the same point. The right answer is clearly 0.03m.

8. Sep 5, 2015 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not truncate. Round off.
    But yes, score one for the Aussies. Again, only if the wave is cos(kx - wt + φ), φ = 0 assumed. The problem is not clearly stated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted