Description of Adiabatic Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas and the relationship between two similar expressions ## TV^{\gamma - 1} = constant ## and ## pV^{\gamma} = constant ##. The conversation also suggests using the equation ## \frac{PV}{nR} ## to convert the first expression into the second, and mentions the use of online sources such as the Hyperphysics website for reference.
I_laff
I've seen the derivation for the adiabatic expansion of an ideal gas which gives the result ## TV^{\gamma - 1} = constant ## which I understand. I have also seen the a similar result, ## pV^{\gamma} = constant ##. But I can't see how to get from the first expression to the second. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you put ##\frac{PV}{nR}## in place of ##T## in the first equation, doesn't it become the second one, assuming that the number of moles ##n## remains constant in the expansion?

From doing that you get ## pV^{\gamma} = R(constant) ##. So you just define a new constant on the RHS that contains ## R ##?

Isn't this a straightforward bit of Text Book derivation? Do you not have access to one?

Yes, it's a different constant then, the original one multiplied by ##nR##.

If you don't have a textbook, try the Hyperphysics website. They have a fair amount of stuff on the gas laws.

Likes I_laff
sophiecentaur said:
Isn't this a straightforward bit of Text Book derivation? Do you not have access to one?
You are probably right, however I don't have a textbook on thermodynamics. I thought of substituting ## \frac{pV}{nR} ## but didn't see how to remove ## nR ## from the final expression. Since they're constant, I guess it's obvious the new constant contains these terms.

sophiecentaur said:
If you don't have a textbook, try the Hyperphysics website. They have a fair amount of stuff on the gas laws.
Thanks, I'll check it out :thumbup:.

I_laff said:
Thanks, I'll check it out :thumbup:.
There are other on-line sources which are an alternative to a textbook but Hyperphysics is fairly user friendly.

Likes I_laff

What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a thermodynamic process in which a gas expands without exchanging heat with its surroundings. This means that no heat is added or removed from the gas during the expansion.

Why is adiabatic expansion important?

Adiabatic expansion is important because it is a key concept in thermodynamics and is used to describe real-world processes such as the expansion of gases in engines and the cooling of air in weather systems.

What is the equation for adiabatic expansion?

The equation for adiabatic expansion is PV^γ = constant, where P is the pressure of the gas, V is the volume, and γ is the ratio of specific heats of the gas.

What are the two types of adiabatic expansion?

The two types of adiabatic expansion are reversible and irreversible. Reversible adiabatic expansion occurs when the expansion is slow enough for the gas to remain in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings. Irreversible adiabatic expansion, on the other hand, occurs when the expansion is rapid and the gas is not in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings.

How does adiabatic expansion differ from isothermal expansion?

Adiabatic expansion differs from isothermal expansion in that adiabatic expansion involves no heat exchange with the surroundings, while isothermal expansion occurs at a constant temperature. Additionally, the pressure and volume change differently in these two types of expansion, with adiabatic expansion resulting in a more significant change in pressure and volume compared to isothermal expansion.