1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Descriptive geometry

1. Dec 26, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A line from point m(4,8,-2) is due south and has a grade of -50% to pt. n. complete the location of n(?,2,?) and give the true length of the line.

2. Relevant equations
    Grade: \frac{rise}{run} x 100%
    The plane H, F and S - if someone knows about this other than me
    The bearing can only be determined in the horizontal plane (north south ETC.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is a graphing subject... and im using an orthographic paper...
    Lemme explain....

the point is m(4, 8, -2)... so the line downward is due south in the horizontal plane since the bearing can only be determined in the horizontal plane... but my *problem* is where is the line??

The grade here is 50% so
    -50 / 100 = - 1 / 2
    so 1 to the rise and 2 to the run from n thus it is going down one unit and going to the left 2 units since it is negative... but i dont know where n lies... so this is my *problem*

and im suspecting that n lies at the y coordinate... but cant still get the point n

I dont know if i posted this on the right thread but forgive me
    please help and give some hints if theres any engineer/architect having knowledge of this...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

Are you using the Monge projection?

4. Dec 26, 2006 #3
    Hi radou...
    No im using the orthograpic projection w/c consists of three planes:
    in the Horizontal plane or H - lies x, and y axes
    Frontal plane or F - x, z
    Side plane or S - y , z

See what i tried...
    im using autocad w/c is similar... but for real im really using the orthographic sheet... because this is a drafting subject
    [​IMG]
    see what I plotted
    so the lines from the H plane which i drew a line is due south in which i cant determine the line from south... and the other line is the line i marked which is 2 = y... in which it has the n coordinate i did this to make it easier but i cant still get it....
    plus the yellow point is the point m(4, 8 ,-2)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  5. Dec 26, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Hint (I hope it can be found useful): the line must intersect the plane which contains the point y = 2 and is perpendicular to the y-axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?