Solve Descriptive Geometry Homework - Pt. M to N Length (-50%)

• Thread starter Equilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the homework statement is that a line from point m(4,8,-2) is due south and has a grade of -50% to pt. n. Complete the location of n(?,2,?) and give the true length of the line.
Equilibrium

Homework Statement

A line from point m(4,8,-2) is due south and has a grade of -50% to pt. n. complete the location of n(?,2,?) and give the true length of the line.

Homework Equations

Grade: \frac{rise}{run} x 100%
The plane H, F and S - if someone knows about this other than me
The bearing can only be determined in the horizontal plane (north south ETC.)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a graphing subject... and I am using an orthographic paper...
Lemme explain...

the point is m(4, 8, -2)... so the line downward is due south in the horizontal plane since the bearing can only be determined in the horizontal plane... but my *problem* is where is the line??

The grade here is 50% so
-50 / 100 = - 1 / 2
so 1 to the rise and 2 to the run from n thus it is going down one unit and going to the left 2 units since it is negative... but i don't know where n lies... so this is my *problem*

and I am suspecting that n lies at the y coordinate... but can't still get the point n

I don't know if i posted this on the right thread but forgive me
please help and give some hints if there's any engineer/architect having knowledge of this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using the Monge projection?

Hi radou...
No I am using the orthograpic projection w/c consists of three planes:
in the Horizontal plane or H - lies x, and y axes
Frontal plane or F - x, z
Side plane or S - y , z

See what i tried...
im using autocad w/c is similar... but for real I am really using the orthographic sheet... because this is a drafting subject
untitled.jpg

see what I plotted
so the lines from the H plane which i drew a line is due south in which i can't determine the line from south... and the other line is the line i marked which is 2 = y... in which it has the n coordinate i did this to make it easier but i can't still get it...
plus the yellow point is the point m(4, 8 ,-2)

Last edited:
Hint (I hope it can be found useful): the line must intersect the plane which contains the point y = 2 and is perpendicular to the y-axis.

What is descriptive geometry?

Descriptive geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the graphic representation of three-dimensional objects on a two-dimensional surface. It involves the use of geometric principles and techniques to create accurate and precise drawings of objects, buildings, and structures.

What is the purpose of solving descriptive geometry homework?

The purpose of solving descriptive geometry homework is to develop skills in visualizing and representing three-dimensional objects in two-dimensional space. It also helps in understanding the principles of projection, intersection, and development, which are essential in fields such as engineering, architecture, and design.

What are some common techniques used in solving descriptive geometry problems?

Some common techniques used in solving descriptive geometry problems include orthographic projection, isometric projection, perspective projection, and auxiliary views. These techniques help in accurately representing the shape, size, and position of objects in a two-dimensional drawing.

What are the benefits of solving descriptive geometry homework?

Solving descriptive geometry homework can improve critical thinking skills, spatial reasoning abilities, and visualization skills. It also helps in developing problem-solving skills and enhances understanding of geometric concepts and principles.

How can one improve their skills in solving descriptive geometry problems?

To improve skills in solving descriptive geometry problems, one should practice regularly and familiarize themselves with different techniques and principles. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor and use resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.