1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Descriptiveness of this term

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    If you want to modify the Hamiltonian by introducing the effect of an electromagnetic field, then the replacement [tex]\vec p \rightarrow \vec p - \frac{e}{c}\vec A [/tex] is applied.

Now my question is, whether there is a descriptive meaning of that extra term [itex]- \frac{e}{c}\vec A[/itex]. As what can I think of that?
    Thank you in advance

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2
    One way to look at it is that it is the momentum imparted through the electromagnetic force,

Momentum wikipedia -
    The classical Hamiltonian ℋ for a particle in any field equals the total energy of the system – the kinetic energy T = p2/2m (where p2 = p · p, see dot product) plus the potential energy V. For a particle in an electromagnetic field, the potential energy is V = , and since the kinetic energy T always corresponds to the kinetic momentum p, replacing the kinetic momentum by the above equation (p = PqA) leads to the Hamiltonian in the table.

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3
    If small type p is the kinetic momentum, what then is capital P?

5. Mar 11, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It's the canonical momentum, i.e., the total momentum of the particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted