Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Descriptiveness of this term

1. Mar 10, 2016 #1
    If you want to modify the Hamiltonian by introducing the effect of an electromagnetic field, then the replacement [tex]\vec p \rightarrow \vec p - \frac{e}{c}\vec A [/tex] is applied.

Now my question is, whether there is a descriptive meaning of that extra term [itex]- \frac{e}{c}\vec A[/itex]. As what can I think of that?
    Thank you in advance

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2016 #2
    One way to look at it is that it is the momentum imparted through the electromagnetic force,

Momentum wikipedia -
    The classical Hamiltonian ℋ for a particle in any field equals the total energy of the system – the kinetic energy T = p2/2m (where p2 = p · p, see dot product) plus the potential energy V. For a particle in an electromagnetic field, the potential energy is V = , and since the kinetic energy T always corresponds to the kinetic momentum p, replacing the kinetic momentum by the above equation (p = PqA) leads to the Hamiltonian in the table.

4. Mar 11, 2016 #3
    If small type p is the kinetic momentum, what then is capital P?

5. Mar 11, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It's the canonical momentum, i.e., the total momentum of the particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted