Desert Island Music: 10 Albums for Stranded Survival

• Music
  • Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, if you were stranded on a desert island and could only listen to 10 albums, you would choose pure Prairie league allman brothers jimi hendrixdwight yoakumac-dcdire straitsboz skaggsjohn hiattmary blackallison krause & union station herbie Hancock herbie Hancock trio herbie hancock vsop quintet dvorakmozartbrethovenbachvivaldiraveldwight yoakumweezerjay z
turbo
Gold Member
Could you manage to restrict your music to 10 albums/CDs and be anywhere comfortable with the choice if you were stranded on the proverbial desert island? For the record, I would probably be busy making a guitar out of locally available materials so I could cop Elmore James songs... Here's what I would grab if my house was on fire and it was the only way to hear it again...Pure Prairie League - same
Allman Brothers - same
Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love
Dwight Yoakum - This Time
AC-DC - Dirty Deeds
Dire Straits - same
Boz Skaggs - Come on Home
John Hiatt - Walk on
Mary Black - No Frontiers
Allison Krause & Union Station - Live

Edit: There is no guarantee that I won't see a reply, and experience a couple of synapses firing and exclaim "there's one I meant to include!"

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off, 1962
Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage, 1965
Herbie Hancock - Sextant, 1972
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters, 1973
Herbie Hancock - Death Wish, 1974
Herbie Hancock - Thrust, 1974
Herbie Hancock - Secrets, 1976
Herbie Hancock - Sunlight, 1977
Herbie Hancock - Herbie Hancock Trio, 1977
Herbie Hancock - VSOP Quintet, 1977

(1) Dvorak -From the New World
(2) Mozart -
(3) Brethoven -
(4) Brahms -
(5) Bach-
(6) Vivaldi -
(7) Ravel
(8) Dvorak (again)
(9) weezer
(10) Jay Z - resonable doubt

If I have to listen to it forever, I want something that I will never get tired of.

Whatever album has http://tvland.classictvhits.com/GilligansIsland/Sounds/GilliganTheme.wav song would be a must.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boogie Down Production - Criminal Minded
Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full
Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Nas - Illmatic
2pac - Me Against the World
Hendrix - Are you Experienced
Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Clubs Band
Beatles - White Album

off the top of my head there's this one:
B000059GLW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

& maybe some biber, glenn gould playing the goldberg variations, pink floyd's dark side of the moon, wish you were here &... not sure what else. it's hard to decide because i don't always like everything that's on a given album, even if it's one of my favourites.

cyrusabdollahi said:
(1) Dvorak -From the New World
(2) Mozart -
(3) Brethoven -
(4) Brahms -
(5) Bach-
(6) Vivaldi -
(7) Ravel
(8) Dvorak (again)
(9) weezer
(10) Jay Z - resonable doubt

If I have to listen to it forever, I want something that I will never get tired of.
Almost the same as Cyrus' list.

To make most of out this 10 CD limit, I think I would make mp3 of all the music and store them on 10 CD's. Oh, btw, are DVD's allowed? :uhh:

Beethoven complete symphonies, string quartets, Fantasia is c ("Choral Fantasy"); violin concertos (Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Bruch, Brahms). A few other symphonies as well: Dvorak 8th, 9th, Mendelssohn 4th, Schubert 5th, 8th and 9th. Of course, add the usual Mozart and Haydn for Classical.

Last edited:
only 10 albums ?!? i hope that when i get stuck on such an island they give me a gun with 1 bullet :P

How long will my batteries last to keep playing them? :uhh:

solar i guess

Moonbear said:
How long will my batteries last to keep playing them? :uhh:

Just like the professor on Guilligan's Island, you can make a radio out of coconuts, but can't fix a 3' hole in a boat.

Geez. You just have Guilligan pedal the bamboo generator, until it jumps off it's supports and runs into the lagoon.

How big is this island? I'm torn between two different lists (depending ...)

List A:

1. The Barney Song ("I love you, you love me")
2. It's a Small World After All.
3. That Brady Bunch song
4. That song that goes "Oompa loompa doobity do"
5. The Meow Mix song
6. Achy Breaky Heart
7. The Macarena song
8. The Lollipop Guild (from Wizard of Oz)
9. On the Good Ship, Lollipop
10. "If You're Happy and Know it ... "

Reasoning: If the island's too small, going insane is a certainty. May as well do it quickly and violently.

List B:

1. "I'm a Little Teapot"
2. "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head"
3. "The Sun 'll Come Out Tomorrow"
4. "YMCA"
5. "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes. Knees and Toes"
6. Theme from Andy Griffith (I could invent words for it)
7. "Walk Like an Egyptian"
8. "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"
9. "Margaritaville"
10. "Rudolph, the Red-nose Reindeer"
10a. "Jack Frost roasting o'er an open fire"

Reasoning: I like these songs. I'd sing along and do all the moves (when appropriate - in fact, the heck with whether it's appropriate or not - if they don't have any moves then I'll make some up). In fact, I already do! They'll all drive you insane, for sure, but at least it will be an idiotic, happy type of insane.

Last edited:
BobG, if we're both on the sinking boat and you're setting out with a raft for the desert island, I'm taking my chances with the boat.:uhh:

turbo-1 said:
BobG, if we're both on the sinking boat and you're setting out with a raft for the desert island, I'm taking my chances with the boat.:uhh:

That's what Yossarian kept saying to Orr.

There has to better things to do than listen to music.

I would say that I can live without it. If anything, make some instruments or something.

I listen to music all the time and listen to it while I do homework. But I can live without it.

:rofl: And where else but on a deserted island could you get away with singing along and doing all the moves to those songs every time you play them?

I was thinking I'd need to have at least one Jimmy Buffett and one Bob Marley album to play on my solar-powered CD player made out of coconuts (especially if the coconuts are the kind that come with those tiny umbrellas). :rofl:

An old Paula Abdul album would be good to dance with (I never get tired of dancing to those old songs).

Maybe George Thorogood for when I figure out how to make a still and need something to drink along with.

Let's see, yes, of course a CD of children's songs for emergencies requiring a healthy dose of insanity to cope with them.

Oh, perhaps something by Britney Spears to remind me why I like living on a deserted island away from the rest of society. :biggrin:

Something by Ozzy for when I need to hack away at coconut trees with a pointy rock to build a shelter or whatever else I need.

Perhaps something by Sting, just because he usually has a nice variety of sounds on a single album.

I'm up to 8. I'll have to think a bit longer on the last two choices.

Since I am always making up songs to sing, I don't need to take any along.

I'd rather have the complete set of Star Trek TNG DVD's and a solar powered DVD player. :biggrin:

If only the had solar-powered internet connection, I could send out an e-mail with my solar-powered laptop.

Blah, you and all your solar powered equipment.

Coconuts and a pair of sticks are enough to create rhythm. :tongue:

If there is a waterfall, you can make a water powered electrical generator that should provide just enough electricity for your CD player. I can't see how you could possibly generate enough electricity for both a TV and a DVD player without a turbine so large that the waterfall became worthless as a shower.

If there's not at least one waterfall, then I'm not going.

Last edited:
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Ted Nugent - Spirit of the Wild
EDIT: Forget the Rolling Stones, one can't live without "Dark Side of the Moon"!

I think I could live with that collection :) By the way, can you point out what my favorite band is? :P

Last edited:
BobG said:
If there's not at least one waterfall, then I'm not going.
Most desert islands are sandy atolls that all but disappear at high tide. Not many waterfalls on those. :smile:

turbo-1 said:
Most desert islands are sandy atolls that all but disappear at high tide. Not many waterfalls on those. :smile:

Hey, wait, I don't want a desert island, just a deserted island! I fully expect coconuts and waterfalls (though, no need to power the generator while taking a shower...you wouldn't be able to hear a TV over the noise of a waterfall anyway, and I prefer to sing a capella in the shower). :biggrin: (Of course, I'd much prefer a dessert island, complete with chocolate waterfalls and candy cane trees.)

My version of a deserted [or desserted] island always involved lots of topless women in grass skirts.

Ivan Seeking said:
...involved lots of topless women in grass skirts...

...singing a capella under chocolate waterfalls...:uhh: What was the original question again?

Kinda reminds me of WC Field's "The Bank Dick".

Egbert: I met a poor fellow who's in trouble. Something the matter with his grandmother's paisley shawl. He has 5,000 shares in the Beefsteak Mine and you can buy them for a handful of hay.
Og: Hay? And they're worth..?
Egbert: Ten cents a share. Telephone sold for five cents a share. How would you like something better for ten cents a share? If five gets you ten, ten'll get you twenty. A beautiful home in the country, upstairs and down. Beer flowing through the estate over your grandmother's paisley shawl.
Og: Beer?
Egbert: Beer! Fishing in the stream that runs under the arboreal dell. A man comes up from the bar, dumps $3,500 in your lap for every nickel invested. Says to you, 'Sign here on the dotted line.' And then disappears in the waving fields of alfalfa.

turbo-1 said:
Kinda reminds me of WC Field's "The Bank Dick".

Egbert: I met a poor fellow who's in trouble. Something the matter with his grandmother's paisley shawl. He has 5,000 shares in the Beefsteak Mine and you can buy them for a handful of hay.
Og: Hay? And they're worth..?
Egbert: Ten cents a share. Telephone sold for five cents a share. How would you like something better for ten cents a share? If five gets you ten, ten'll get you twenty. A beautiful home in the country, upstairs and down. Beer flowing through the estate over your grandmother's paisley shawl.
Og: Beer?
Egbert: Beer! Fishing in the stream that runs under the arboreal dell. A man comes up from the bar, dumps $3,500 in your lap for every nickel invested. Says to you, 'Sign here on the dotted line.' And then disappears in the waving fields of alfalfa.
Ahh yesss.

1. What is "Desert Island Music: 10 Albums for Stranded Survival"?

"Desert Island Music: 10 Albums for Stranded Survival" is a hypothetical scenario in which a person is stranded on a desert island and can only bring 10 albums with them for entertainment and survival purposes.

2. How were these 10 albums chosen?

The 10 albums were chosen based on a variety of factors such as their longevity, diversity in genres, and ability to provide comfort and escape in a challenging situation.

3. What genres of music are represented in these 10 albums?

The 10 albums cover a wide range of genres including rock, pop, hip hop, country, and classical music. There is something for everyone in this collection.

4. Are these albums in a specific order or ranking?

No, these albums are not in a specific order or ranking. Each album has its own unique qualities and was chosen based on its individual strengths rather than a specific ranking.

5. Can these albums be substituted for others?

Yes, these 10 albums are simply a suggestion and can be substituted for other albums depending on personal preference. The goal is to choose albums that will bring comfort and enjoyment during a difficult situation.

Back