Calculating Argument of w: (-4(√3+i))/(-1+i)

• Thread starter SwedishFred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Argument
In summary, The conversation is about converting a complex number in rectangular form to polar form, specifically using the cosine and sine of key angles such as pi/6, pi/4, and pi/3.
SwedishFred
Hi I am kind of lost
Deside an argument for w

w= (-4(√3+i))/(-1+i)

I know that the arg is the angel..
And the equation is in radians..

where to start??

best Regards!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert to polar coordinates?

yeah i thought so to, but I am not really sure how..
z=r cos σ+i r sinσ=r(cos+i sin), i don't know how to use this ...

Hint: you should be able to convert these to polar coordinates easily:

$$\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} + i \frac{1}{2}$$
and
$$-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} + i \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$$

Hint: Why don't you try multiplying the entire expression by: ##\frac{- 1 - i}{- 1 - i}##.

Then switch to polar.

i did try to multiply it, it gave me (3-√3+3i-√3i)/2 it looks wrong and it won't help me..
sorry Jbunniii i can´t .. thanks for your time..

With little help from my friend i manage solve it, thanks guys..

Glad you were able to solve it. FYI, it's useful to remember the cosine and sine of three key angles: ##\pi/6##, ##\pi/4##, and ##\pi/3## (i.e., 30, 45, and 60 degrees). Then you can instantly recognize things like
$$\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} + i \frac{1}{2} = \cos(\pi/6) + i \sin(\pi/6)$$

What is the argument of (-4(√3+i))/(-1+i)?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number. In this case, the complex number is in the form a+bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. To find the argument, we can use the formula tanθ = b/a, where θ is the argument and a and b are the real and imaginary parts, respectively. In this case, a=-4√3 and b=-4. Therefore, the argument is θ = tan^-1(-4/-4√3) = tan^-1(1/√3) = π/6 radians or 30 degrees.

Can the argument of a complex number be negative?

Yes, the argument of a complex number can be negative. This is because the argument is measured counterclockwise from the positive real axis. If the complex number lies in the third or fourth quadrant, the argument will be negative.

How do I convert the argument from radians to degrees?

To convert the argument from radians to degrees, we can use the formula θ (in degrees) = θ (in radians) * 180/π. In this case, the argument is π/6 radians, so θ (in degrees) = (π/6) * (180/π) = 30 degrees.

What is the significance of the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is significant in representing the direction or angle of the vector representing the complex number. It is also useful in finding the roots of a complex number or in solving equations involving complex numbers.

Can the argument of a complex number be greater than 360 degrees?

Yes, the argument of a complex number can be greater than 360 degrees. This is because the argument is measured counterclockwise from the positive real axis, so it can have multiple rotations around the origin. In this case, the argument is 30 degrees, which is equivalent to 1 rotation (360 degrees) plus 30 degrees.