Design a clipper circuit with a specific output

In summary, the goal of this assignment is to determine the value of elements in a circuit if both V and I are known. The student is to use a sinewave input and determine the output amplitude.
Hassan Raafat

Homework Statement

upload_2016-3-25_18-5-51.png

Homework Equations

Clippers equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew that we will put a two diodes( with a dc battery {2.3 V} series) parallel to each other in opposite directions .. but what meant by gain is 0.95 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hassan Raafat said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 97926

Homework Equations

Clippers equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew that we will put a two diodes( with a dc battery {2.3 V} series) parallel to each other in opposite directions .. but what meant by gain is 0.95 ?
It means that the voltage divider that you form with your series resistor and the load resistor should not drop more than 5% of the input voltage when the diodes are not conducting. Can you show us your solution circuit now? :smile:

upload_2016-3-25_19-26-56.png

http://blob:https%3A//www.physicsforums.com/e4a89897-2c3c-46b3-8433-735549d386cb

Hassan Raafat said:
Good! Now you just have to calculate the input resistor value so that the output voltage is 0.95 * Vin...

Camera is not good , I can't upload complete solution but R has a value R=52.63

Hassan Raafat said:
but R has a value R=52.63
Can you show your equations that you used to calculate this value? It looks about right, but it would be good to see how you got it. Just type it in here... Thanks.

http://20160325_192231.png

Last edited by a moderator:
http://20160325_192231.png

Yeah, the pictures are not showing up. Can you just type it with text into the forum window?

Vout = ( 1k / (1k+R) ) * Vin
Vout / Vin = 1k / (1k+R)
0.95 = 1000 / (1000+R)
R = 52.63 ohm

Likes berkeman
Hassan Raafat said:
Vout = ( 1k / (1k+R) ) * Vin
Vout / Vin = 1k / (1k+R)
0.95 = 1000 / (1000+R)
R = 52.63 ohm
Great! :smile:

Thanks a lot , Berkeman ... You are great :)

Likes berkeman
but I still have a question what is the waveform of input voltage ?

Hassan Raafat said:
but I still have a question what is the waveform of input voltage ?
Oh, that wasn't part of what you posted in Post #1. The output waveform will just be a clipped version (and 95% of) the input waveform. What kind of input waveform are you supposed to use? Sine wave? Ramp?

sine wave

Hassan Raafat said:
sine wave
Of what amplitude? You should be able to draw the input and output waveforms...

that means that the output will be a sine wave with a peak equals (100/95) * 3 , right ?

Hassan Raafat said:
that means that the output will be a sine wave with a peak equals (100/95) * 3 , right ?
Not exactly. The gain Vo/Vi = 0.95, and the Vo waveform clips at +/-3V.

berkeman said:
Not exactly. The gain Vo/Vi = 0.95, and the Vo waveform clips at +/-3V.
Am I supposed to draw input in design circuits ?

And how I determine output without knowing what is the input of circuit ?

Hassan Raafat said:
Am I supposed to draw input in design circuits ?

And how I determine output without knowing what is the input of circuit ?
You draw the input sine wave with some amplitude (say, +/- 5V), and then draw the output waveform which is 0.95 as big, and is clipped at +/- 3V.

One way to do it is in Excel, but you can do it by hand as well. What is the exact wording of that part of this homework problem?

Design it meant to determine value of elements in the circuit if V,I are both known

Hassan Raafat said:
Design it meant to determine value of elements in the circuit if V,I are both known
You don't need to know much about input Vin. If Vin at any moment exceeds the circuit's clipping level then the output waveform will be clipped, and at those times when Vin does not reach the circuit's clipping level then there will be no clipping of the waveform.

Vin can be any waveform and the clipper will still operate. It is often convenient to illustrate the operation of a clipper using a sinewave, but you could use a triangular wave, or even random noise.

Your assignment asks you to use a sinewave input. Just choose its amplitude to be whatever is needed to produce some clipping, and sketch what the corresponding output will look like.

Likes Hassan Raafat
NascentOxygen said:
You don't need to know much about input Vin. If Vin at any moment exceeds the circuit's clipping level then the output waveform will be clipped, and at those times when Vin does not reach the circuit's clipping level then there will be no clipping of the waveform.

Vin can be any waveform and the clipper will still operate. It is often convenient to illustrate the operation of a clipper using a sinewave, but you could use a triangular wave, or even random noise.

Your assignment asks you to use a sinewave input. Just choose its amplitude to be whatever is needed to produce some clipping, and sketch what the corresponding output will look like.
Thanks Very much NascentOxygen , I realized that shape of wave dosen't matter . :))

Likes NascentOxygen

1. How do I determine the appropriate output for my clipper circuit?

The output of a clipper circuit is determined by the type of diode used and the position of the diode in the circuit. A diode placed in series with the load will result in a clipped output, while a diode placed in parallel with the load will result in a clamped output.

2. What type of diode should I use in my clipper circuit?

The type of diode used in a clipper circuit depends on the desired output. A regular diode will result in a clipped output, while a Zener diode will result in a clamped output.

3. How do I choose the appropriate resistor values for my clipper circuit?

The resistor values in a clipper circuit can be determined using the desired output voltage and the current through the circuit. Using Ohm's law (V=IR), you can calculate the necessary resistance for your circuit.

4. Can I design a clipper circuit with variable output?

Yes, a clipper circuit can be designed with variable output by using a potentiometer in place of a fixed resistor. This will allow you to adjust the resistance and therefore the output voltage of the circuit.

5. What are the potential applications of a clipper circuit?

Clipper circuits are commonly used in audio and video signal processing, power supply circuits, and voltage regulators. They can also be used in electronic devices to protect against overvoltage or to limit signal amplitude.