Design a Multiplexer Circuit for A and B Outputs Based on C Input

In summary, the task is to design a multiplexer circuit that has two inputs, A and B, and a control input C. When C=0, the output X will be equal to A, and when C=1, the output X will be equal to B. The table with signals P and Q is not relevant to the problem.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Design a multiplexer circuit given the data such that:

When ##C = 0##, the output ##X = A##.
When ##C = 1##, the output ##X = B##.

The truth table is displayed below:

Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 10.18.34 AM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to make sure I understood this and I wasn't overlooking anything.

Looking at the ##A##, ##C## and ##P## columns, I deduced I needed a term of the form ##A \cdot \bar C##.

Looking at the ##B##, ##C## and ##Q## columns, I deduced I needed a term of the form ##B \cdot C##.

Looking at the ##P##, ##Q## and ##X## columns, I see I need a gate that satisfies ##\bar P \cdot Q + P \cdot \bar Q + P \cdot Q##.

That last expression can be simplified to:

##\bar P \cdot Q + P \cdot \bar Q + P \cdot Q = \bar P \cdot Q + P(\bar Q + Q) = \bar P \cdot Q + P = Q + P##

So from what I can gather, ##Q + P = B \cdot C + A \cdot \bar C##.

Hence ##X = Q + P = B \cdot C + A \cdot \bar C##.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay. You might have considered using a Karnaugh Map approach which would yield the two terms by inspection.

How did you fill in the P and Q columns?

NascentOxygen said:
How did you fill in the P and Q columns?

When ##C = 0##, the value of ##Q## does not matter and the value of ##X## depends only on ##A##.

Similarly when ##C = 1##, the value of ##P## does not matter and the value of ##X## depends only on ##B##.

This gives half a column of ##Q##s and ##P##s that do not matter. I could have filled those in with a ##d## or ##-##, but that was the problem statement provided and they seemed to have used a ##0##.

This question is a bit puzzling. It's as though that table belongs to some other question and accidently got mixed in here.

The task is wholly described in just these lines:

Design a multiplexer circuit given the data such that:

When C=0, the output X=A.
When C=1, the output X=B.

The table with signals P and Q is either a mistake or a red herring, IMO.

1. What is a multiplexer circuit?

A multiplexer circuit is an electronic device that can select and route data signals from multiple input lines to a single output line. It is commonly used in digital systems to select and transmit data from one source to another.

2. How does a multiplexer circuit work?

A multiplexer circuit works by using select signals to choose which input line to pass through to the output line. The select signals are binary codes that determine which input line is active. The data from the active input line is then transmitted to the output line.

3. What are the components of a multiplexer circuit?

A multiplexer circuit consists of input lines, a select line, and an output line. It may also include additional components such as logic gates, transistors, and resistors to control and amplify the signals.

4. What are the advantages of using a multiplexer circuit?

Multiplexer circuits have several advantages, including reducing the number of wires needed to transmit data, simplifying data routing and selection, and saving space and cost compared to using multiple switches.

5. How can a multiplexer circuit be used in practical applications?

Multiplexer circuits are used in a variety of practical applications, such as data transmission in communication systems, data routing in computer networks, and signal selection in electronic instruments. They are also commonly used in digital systems to control and coordinate data flows between different components.