Design a Vehicle: Create a Realistic, Practical, User-Friendly 3-in-1

In summary, the conversation mainly revolves around the idea of a versatile vehicle that can travel on land, sea, and air. The participants discuss the practicality, cost, and safety concerns of such a vehicle. Some suggest using a hovercraft or a flying car, while others express skepticism about the idea. There are also discussions about traffic laws and the potential impact on cities if these vehicles were to become popular. The conversation ends with mixed opinions about the feasibility and desirability of a vehicle that can do it all.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A real world vehicle, for land sea and air, no seriously could anyone do it?
it would have to be user friendly, not outrageously expensive to run, carry at least 2 people and be practical.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a vehicle can do air, why do you need it to do land and sea?

Zoob has a good point here. A hovercraft or wing-in-ground-effect craft is all-terrrain. As with some of the points of my Roadrunner rebuild, I'm not going to divulge a lot of details on a public forum. I am working on an HC that has reasonable speed (50 mph), carries 2 - 4 passengers, and has full navigational control (yaw and vector). That includes on-demand right-****ing-now brakes (patent pending).

edit: I just realized that there should have been a :biggrin: in that last post. Hope that there was no offense to anyone who took that seriously.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:

It may be difficult to (land) in a town or city, if you think present day, (aircraft) are limited to and governed by air laws, and in some areas the ability to land on water is a desirable factor.

zoobyshoe said:
Unless the air vehicle is bouyant or has inexhastible fuel supply, some time it has to land. So it better have land or sea capability, as well as air.

The PBY Catalina could do land, air or sea.

The real challenge would be a flying submarine.

I've wanted one ever since "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea" was a hit.
fs1_berthing3.jpg

ff_transformers_object_468.jpg

Transformers robots in disquise!

They can transform into anything I think it will do!

Ivan Seeking said:
The real challenge would be a flying submarine.
I still have a plastic model of that sucker... along with the Lost In Space robot, the Pan Am Clipper from 2001, and a dozen or so others. :biggrin:

Now come on chaps, i am sure the skull space challenged PFers can come
up with a few practical ideas.

By Astro,

The PBY Catalina could do land, air or sea.

So that is what i saw on the M40 :rofl:

"[URL I[/URL] was serious, Woolie. A hovercraft is the most practical approach. They're not great in city traffic, but they are all-terrain. One designed for over-water usage will float if it loses power. There's a flying car (Meller?) out there, which has been mentioned somewhere in these forums, but it's hideously expensive and might require a pilot's license for the operator.

edit: Ahh... here we go. http://travel.howstuffworks.com/flying-car.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
I was serious, Woolie. A hovercraft is the most practical approach. They're not great in city traffic, but they are all-terrain. One designed for over-water usage will float if it loses power. There's a flying car (Meller?) out there, which has been mentioned somewhere in these forums, but it's hideously expensive and might require a pilot's license for the operator.

Hmmmm, i guess all the women would have to wear pants if hover craft
were in general use, i should imagine roundabouts would be a bit of a problem
as well.

My design will handle roundabouts, and city travel. :approve:
By the bye, note that I edited in a link to the flying car in my previous post.

Danger said:
My design will handle roundabouts, and city travel. :approve:
By the bye, note that I edited in a link to the flying car in my previous post.

I nearly bought one of those but i coul not get HP :grumpy:

Why the hell would you want to put steak sauce on it? :confused:

Danger said:
Why the hell would you want to put steak sauce on it? :confused:

They wanted 3,000,000 botles as security that i would pay up.

That's worth six times as much as the car. :bugeye:

In May 2006, Heinz announced plans to switch production of HP Sauce from Aston to its European sauces facility in Elst, the Netherlands, prompting a call to boycott Heinz products in the Birmingham area. The move will result in the loss of approximately 125 jobs at the Aston factory and has been criticised by Birmingham politicians and union officials. In the same month, Labour MP Khalid Mahmood brandished a bottle of HP Sauce during Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons as part of a protest against the Heinz move. He also made reference to the sauce's popularity with the former Labour Prime Minister Harold Wilson.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I bet you do not know what the factory piped over a motorway?

Sorry... I don't understand the last sentence.

Danger said:
"[URL I[/URL] was serious, Woolie. A hovercraft is the most practical approach. They're not great in city traffic, but they are all-terrain. One designed for over-water usage will float if it loses power. There's a flying car (Meller?) out there, which has been mentioned somewhere in these forums, but it's hideously expensive and might require a pilot's license for the operator.

edit: Ahh... here we go. http://travel.howstuffworks.com/flying-car.htm

I heard recently that they expect to get FAA approval this year. Up to now I don't think they have been allowed to fly without a tether.

Last edited by a moderator:
That thing looks like a death trap. It has no wings. Loose an engine and forget about gliding down, you'll drop like a stone and leave a small crater.

Car's are not meant to be airplanes or boats for a reason.

Cool. I have to wonder what sort of traffic laws will have to be enacted to deal with them. ('Whaddaya mean, I can't fly over a red light?!')

edit: Just spotted your post, Cyrus. That thing has humongus external airbags as well as the full interior coverage, and deploys a large parachute if in trouble.

Last edited:
No thanks, Ill do just fine driving or taking a conventional airplane. :rolleyes:

I think it's a really really stupid idea. These will make so much noise every city will ban them (if they ever get certified in the first place).

What happens to the guy on the sidewalk getting hailed with debris from the prop blast?

cyrusabdollahi said:
No thanks, Ill do just fine driving or taking a conventional airplane. :rolleyes:

I think it's a really really stupid idea. These will make so much noise every city will ban them (if they ever get certified in the first place).

What happens to the guy on the sidewalk getting hailed with debris from the prop blast?

Who cares, this could be the start of a new hells angels chapter :rofl:

I am just such a vehicle, I can swim, walk, rock climb, dive, parachute, skydive, fly and even roll.

Yey for me!

How about a Trident Missile with wheels!?

cyrusabdollahi said:
That thing looks like a death trap. It has no wings. Loose an engine and forget about gliding down, you'll drop like a stone and leave a small crater.

Car's are not meant to be airplanes or boats for a reason.

Looks small enough that Jettisoning engines and falling back on a chute would be viable to me :P

But yeah, i wouldt want to run out of fuel because i overshot the last petrol station hehe

3trQN said:
I am just such a vehicle, I can swim, walk, rock climb, dive, parachute, skydive, fly and even roll.

Yey for me!

If i knew your gender i would ask for a ride :rofl:

cyrusabdollahi said:
He sues the town for improper street-sweeping techniques.

3trQN said:
And how many people can you carry in comfort? :tongue:

3trQN said:
How many femtometres to the gallon does that get?

Ivan Seeking said:
Here you go Woolie
Oh great, Ivan... just friggin' great! :grumpy: Now he's going to be whining for a week about "why didn't I invent that?"

Ivan Seeking said:
I heard recently that they expect to get FAA approval this year. Up to now I don't think they have been allowed to fly without a tether.
I wonder how much noise that flying-car makes. I can't see that in downtown with the airwash blowing on pedestrians.

I seriously expect that they'll be restricted to something like 50' minumum altitude and use rooftop parking the same way that helicopters do now.

Danger said:
Oh great, Ivan... just friggin' great! :grumpy: Now he's going to be whining for a week about "why didn't I invent that?"

Fttt, my latest invention uses lay line power, way ahead of any thing you guys have.:smile:

wolram said:
Fttt, my latest invention uses lay line power, way ahead of any thing you guys have.:smile:
My arse! You never would have even heard of that if you hadn't stolen it from the Norweeds. :grumpy:

Danger said:
My arse! You never would have even heard of that if you hadn't stolen it from the Norweeds. :grumpy:

Beg your pardon old chaps but the leys were a wikan discovery past on to the druids, and there power rediscovered by me.