1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Design a wave pool for surfer

1. Oct 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Recently my teacher gave us a homework on the designing of wave pool.The title is like below:

You have been assigned as a consultant to design a water park at the abandoned pond site. The new water park should be able to produce conditions similar to the sea and also allow surfing activities twice a day. In your design, include one safety aspect for the water park. Using the wave concept, explain how the new water park can attract many visitors including young children.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Is it possible for the following aspects to be used? 5 aspects are needed~

- A slanted wave pool (shallow region for children while deeper for adults)

- Add turbine blade (to generate wave)

- Add a return canal (to collect back the water)

- The wave-generating machine is fenced (to prevent the entering of public)

- Large volume of pool (to fill with more water thus, increasing the strength of wave )

Do correct me if i have made any mistakes, thank you!

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Shouldn't you discuss something about the relative size/frequency of the waves? What is the wave concept referred to in the question?

4. Oct 27, 2014 #3
    I would expect you to do some research on actual ocean waves. You could pick a location and what the tide is doing as a starting point to design around. Even if you are off show some work to get a number to design for. I watch different Ocean Cam to check conditions, lots out there, and do estimates on them, or go for tabulated Data.

Pick some numbers for size of pond and what you will need. I would think the difference from Adults to kids would be wave height and swell time.

How are you going to generate the waves? Design and size something. you get to pick all of the numbers and set up the pond. Add a creek flow or something else if needed. You could use a motor and some "thingies" to make wave. Water pumps for return water, or have a channel on the side. you could go wild with this design. Pick some numbers for wave height and then you get Volume of water, and other values.

Fence and lifeguard at a minimum and waivers for injury, Add your Attorney skills. Don't for get to sign your contract to get paid for your effort.

Last addition id you need more content, Economics. Provide a Project cost, Materials , Labor, permits, etc. Get a schedule to do it. Adding planning to a job is most critical. Could add a ROI section, don't forget use of funds to built it Interest to Bank......

Depending on how much time you want to spend and what is expected, you could have some fun with it. IF you have a section that needs design work you don't get, you could just add a Box ( TBD in Design phase) You could budget for guys like me to figure it out. I'm $125/hr for your budget.

What coarse is this for and what level in school?

Lots of different ideas for you to chew on......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted