Design an experiment to determine which reactant is the limiting reactant

In summary, the experiment to determine the limiting reactant between a piece of Mg and a beaker of water with dissolved HCl involves placing the magnesium in the solution and observing if it dissolves completely. If it does, then the magnesium is the limiting reactant, but if not, then the HCl is the limiting reactant. Another approach could be to write out the chemical equation and predict the products, and an indirect measurement may also be helpful. There is also a consideration of the rate of reaction over time.
extraordinarygirl
You have a piece of Mg of an unknown mass, and a beaker of water in which is dissolved an unknown amount of HCl. Design an experiment to determine which reactant is the limiting reactant.

I'm not too sure how to get started with this problem. I was thinking you could place the magnesium into the beaker of H20 and HCl and see if the magnesium dissolves at all. If all of it dissolves than the Magnesium would be the limiting reactant... but if not all of it dissolved HCl would be the limiting reactant
- Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone give me an idea?:confused:

Just wondering, what kind of products do you expect to result? What are some other clues that would indicate a reaction is taking place?
Sounds like you thought this through.. I go along with your approach..

Write out the chemical equation and see what the products will be. I have a feeling that an indirect measurement will be of better use... but I'm not sure.

extraordinarygirl said:
If all of it dissolves than the Magnesium would be the limiting reactant... but if not all of it dissolved HCl would be the limiting reactant

That's perfectly logical and all you would need to do, assuming of course the reaction goes to completion (which it will over time).

Cesium said:
That's perfectly logical and all you would need to do, assuming of course the reaction goes to completion (which it will over time).
There is an implication here in Cesium's comment about rate of reaction. Do you know what it is? (query is for ExGrl)

1. What is a limiting reactant?

A limiting reactant is the reactant in a chemical reaction that is used up first and therefore limits the amount of product that can be formed.

2. Why is it important to determine the limiting reactant?

Determining the limiting reactant allows us to accurately calculate the theoretical yield of a reaction and understand the amount of product that can be produced.

3. How do you design an experiment to determine the limiting reactant?

First, you will need to identify the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, you will need to measure the amount of each reactant used and record the amount of product produced. The reactant that produces the least amount of product is the limiting reactant.

4. What instruments or materials are needed to conduct this experiment?

The specific instruments and materials needed will vary depending on the reaction being studied. However, some common tools may include a balance, graduated cylinders, beakers, and a thermometer.

5. Are there any limitations or sources of error in this experiment?

Yes, there are several potential sources of error in this experiment, such as measurement errors, incomplete reactions, and impurities in the reactants. It is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and repeat the experiment multiple times to minimize these errors.